Do you enjoy project management that involves managing technical makeup formulations and all the data therein including but not limited to testing data, product performance results, safety data, regulatory results, claims data, and stability testing?
For more than one hundred years, L'Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science
. In a world now transformed by digital technology
and the emergence of new scientific Domains,
we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world
. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences
that will change people's lives. L'Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people
are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Inside L'Oréal's Research & Innovation Division, Open Development
, is where our chemists work closely with external manufacturers to develop and refine formulas to meet the needs and expectations of our consumers. We value the development of products that consumers find innovative, safe, reliable, and sustainable. We build strong, international collaborations across different functions to ensure that products are seen from inception to officialization for our local and global launch deadlines.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Senior Scientist II
to join our Open Development department located at our El Segundo, California
facility for Research and Innovation. In this role, you are responsible for technical aspects of developing and homologating cosmetic products for NYX and Urban Decay Professional Makeup. This position will liaise on formulation, product performance, stability and robustness to manufacture. This position requires a qualitative and quantitative researcher, possessing strategic thinking, excellent analytical and collaboration skills, which will be responsible for coordinating multiple data sets and technical information across functions.
This position requires a developed awareness of scientific literature, raw material technology, processing methodology, claims and marketing/consumer trends required to perform innovative product development assignments in an efficient manner. Must have effective communications skills to engage key stakeholders (NYX, Urban Decay, L'Oréal R&I teams, Vendors) to define evolving priorities and working methods. Must manage complexity and changing priorities.You Will . . .
You Have . . .
- Work closely with designated vendors to deliver strong formulations for successful product launch: initiate formula review, confirm formula entry, assure quality and conformity of formulas, implement risk mitigation plans, monitor stability reports and obtain technical data required by R&I partners
- Work in collaboration with vendors' formulation team and internal micro, safety, and regulatory teams to assure robust formulations that will pass L'Oréal and industry standards.
- Work closely with Safety toxicologists and Claims Evaluation teams to coordinate product testing
- Review concepts, formulas, artwork and documentation for technical accuracy
- Communicate with technical and non-technical partners (such as Project Managers, Product Development, Marketing, Legal etc.) to assure R&I and Brand requirements are met
- Track and maintain awareness of NYX and Urban Decay product development projects and respective timelines. Under minimal supervision, manage multiple projects and priorities with varying complexity
- Create, Review and issue documentation for existing and new products.
- Provide management, internal labs, and support teams with information regarding the NYX and Urban Decay brand, status of projects, and product information, as well coordinate and follow up on general requests.
- Maintain a strong relationship with vendors to ensure product quality in a timely fashion
- Identify raw materials and technologies suitable for product development concepts from either in house or vendors.
- Work in collaboration with other Open Development scientists to lead and/or support projects that are more complex to maintain and improve departmental processes or support operational needs
- Provide mentorship and training to Vendors and support groups
- Present technical R&I information to a variety of audiences including R&I, marketing and vendor partners
- Work closely with designated cross-functional teams to help objectify sufficient data and provide formulation support for claim validation
- Understand protocols and results of claims studies including but not limited to consumer perception, hydration, wear, and waterproof to effectively translate and present claims results and insights to business users at various management levels.
- Stay abreast of global regulations affecting marketing product verbiage and product positioning
- Possibly have direct report(s) to manage, mentor, and grow
You Are . . .
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or related science is required.
- Required 5+ years of progressive experience in the cosmetics industry with a focus in formulation and/or creation of color cosmetics. Preference for someone with a hybrid background with formulation and other category such as regulatory, claims, product development, engineering
- Must have a strong cosmetics formulation background in all categories, especially makeup: lipstick, foundations, eye makeup, hot pours, emulsions and suspension
- Effective communication skills to work with experts and non-experts alike, both orally and in writing
- Someone who works wells under pressure, in a fast paced environment, within a matrixed organization
- Someone who enjoys analytical-type work
- An effective communicator orally and written, to experts and non-experts alike
- An independent thinker with the ability to prioritize deadlines
- Solution oriented and can demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness in proactively identifying and proposing solutions
- A strong cosmetics formulation chemist with formulation background in all categories, especially makeup: lipstick, foundations, eye makeup, hot pours, emulsions and suspension
- At this time L'Oréal is not able to offer sponsorship now or in the future.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.