8BioMed is a privately held development-stage biopharmaceutical company with a mission to save lives and sustain vital organs through oxygen-based therapies. Check us out at 8BioMed.com.
We are seeking a highly motivated, organized and hands-on Protein Chemist to join our team. Familiarity with organic chemistry, protein chemistry, and analytical methods for the characterization of proteins in both the native and chemically-modified states is critical.How you will add value to 8BioMed
As a member of the 8BioMed Research and Development Team, you will work as a part of a multi-disciplinary team on the development of a novel hemoglobin-based oxygen carrying (HBOC) product. This is a hands-on position working in the laboratory.
You will carry out experiments to develop and optimize synthetic methods for both small molecules and protein derivatives, purify and characterize the reaction products using appropriate purification and analytical equipment, and help to establish quality control protocols. This role will also be responsible for:
Education, Experience and Knowledge Requirements
- Planning and performing experiments involving organic chemistry and protein chemistry, including the analytical methods needed to characterize reaction products.
- Preparing written, detailed documentation of experimental procedures and results, and writing research reports and invention disclosures for internal and external use.
- Ensuring laboratory and analytical equipment is maintained in good working order; troubleshooting and performing minor repairs as needed.
- Anticipating additional resources, consumables, and equipment requirements as needed to ensure that work can be completed within the expected timelines.
- Remaining current with the relevant technical literature and identifying opportunities for the implementation of new technology.
- Maintaining a safe and orderly laboratory and insuring compliance with all safety policies and practices.
- Five or more years experience in protein chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, or a related field
- In-depth knowledge in protein chemistry, enzymes, antibodies and organic chemistry, including a range of relevant analytical methods
- Experience in crosslinking or immobilization of proteins and the characterization and purification of reaction products desirable
- Scale-up and technology transfer experience desirable
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Must have the ability to work in fast-paced, start-up company, producing technical results for key company objectives under demanding timelines.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Motivated and self-directed, able to work independently
- Strong technical, organizational, and communication skills, as well as the ability to develop creative solutions to challenging problems are essential
- Some travel might be required to meet with partners and collaborators
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
This position is a full-time in laboratory (not remote) opportunity located in Thousand Oaks, CA.
8BioMed is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We offer competitive compensation and benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off.