The Lutz lab is seeking a motivated, detail oriented full time Research Assistant to join our team at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine. The successful candidate will be working with a dynamic team to develop new mouse models for rare diseases as well as other disease models where gaps in current availability and need to the scientific community are identified. This position is a great opportunity for both experienced associates to expand their skills in molecular biology and phenotyping capabilities across a wide array of disease areas.Responsibilities
- Best practices and standard processes in daily work which support efficiencies, quality, safety, with a customer service focus.
- Conducts tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard or detailed protocols.
- Basic Lab animal handling skills and biomethod techniques. General Lab sanitation.
- Accurate entry of data including lab IT systems and databases.
- Maintain appropriate documentation as required by protocols and SOP's.
- Documentation and communication of experimental data through oral presentations and written reports
QualificationsResearch Assistant II:
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 3 - 6 years of directly related experience in a Laboratory setting.
Research Assistant III:
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 6+ years of directly related experience.
- Mouse handling and husbandry skills preferred.
- Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel and Word.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information verbally and in written form.
- Ability to demonstrate effective mental concentration, visual attention and dexterity.
- Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program.
- Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
- Proven ability to organize time effectively and work under time constraints, meet deadlines and prioritize work.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday)
About JAX:The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,400 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients' lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 "Best Places to Work in Academia" in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!EEO Statement: The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.