WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We've been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 455,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It's a responsibility we deliver on. Our passion is water because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places. Summary
Under the direction of the Manager of Safety & Security Services, the Senior Environmental, Health, and Safety Specialist collaborates with the other team members in evaluating, planning, developing, and implementing occupational safety and health program elements in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and best business practices. The work requires coordinating with multiple disciplines and providing technical support to a diverse group of customers.Flexible Schedules
WaterOne provides our employees with many options of Flexible Work Schedules with an emphasis on a healthy work-life balance. This can be seen in many different forms, from varying schedules, to work from home options, and other accommodations that employees may utilize.ResponsibilitiesEssential Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists with the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of a comprehensive occupational safety and health program that is fully integrated with other business objectives.
- Helps interpret safety standards, and regulations, including, but not limited to, 29 CFR 1910 & 1926. Benchmarks the performance of leaders in occupational safety and health, particularly in the utility industry.
- Assists with evaluating safety requirements for proposed future facilities and new equipment procurements, helping apply prevention through design concepts.
- Organizes and conducts comprehensive safety surveys, program audits, and workplace analyses that evaluate the effectiveness of occupational safety procedures; assesses the degree of compliance with applicable standards; and develops and recommends changes to eliminate or reduce hazards.
- Inputs information into and extracts data from computer applications that provide information on unsafe work conditions or acts, as well as documents implementation of measures to eliminate or control the unsafe conditions.
- Provides education and training to employees on applicable occupational safety and health programs, practices, and procedures. Evaluates work practices and procedures to help determine training requirements. Helps implement methods to evaluate the effectiveness of safety and health training programs.
- Leads or assists with the implementation of a comprehensive workers' compensation program. Investigates accidents and incidents utilizing proven techniques such as root cause analysis and corrective action. Helps ensure that incidents are reported and documented and that corrective actions are implemented.
- Consults with other staff, loss control representatives, occupational medicine physicians, and other subject matter experts to collaborate in the resolution of complex occupational safety and health issues.
- Assists with the development and implementation of an effective safety metrics program. Helps maintain appropriate logs and records of occupational safety and health incidents.
- Assists with the development of materials and information pertaining to new employee occupational safety and health orientation.
- Continually reinforces proper occupational safety and health behavior in the workplace.
Customer Service Commitment
- Assists with the development and ongoing management of the occupational safety and health budget, as required.
- Provides back-up as required for key duties that are the responsibility of other Safety & Security Services Department staff.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
WaterOne employees shall continuously strive to meet or exceed the expectations of both their internal and external customers. Questions and concerns shall be acknowledged on the same day whenever possible, but no later than the next business day. Issues shall be resolved as promptly as possible, with the goal of maximizing customer satisfaction.Position Competencies
In addition to organizational competencies, these key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
- Job Knowledge - Understands the purpose of the position and demonstrates knowledge by staying current with changes impacting their job.
- Providing Consultation - Partners with stakeholders and serves as a resource to identify and resolve complex or sensitive issues.
- Safety & Security Focus - Adheres to all workplace safety and security policies, standards, and practices.
- Self-Confidence - Confident in ability to accomplish goals and demonstrates willingness to step out of comfort zone.
- Training & Presenting Information - Develops and recommends training exercises, group discussions, lecture, and other methods to meet diverse learning styles.
QualificationsRequired Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene, or a related field.
- Two years of professional safety experience.
Note: An equivalent combination of education, professional certification, and experience may be considered in meeting the qualifications above.
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and standards in safety and health.
- Knowledge of occupational safety and health management concepts, principles, practices, and procedures including, but not limited to, process safety management, risk management, HAZWOPER, respiratory protection (including fit testing), ergonomics, and RCRA (Resource Conservation Recovery Act).
- Experience in accident and incident investigation, including root cause analysis and corrective action.
- Knowledge of analytical techniques such as job hazard analysis and prevention through design.
- Experience in performing observations, reviews, inspections, and program analysis to reinforce strengths and to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to develop, write, and present subject matter as it relates to current risks and exposures.
- Ability to articulate complex issues verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical employees. Must be a good listener.
- Ability to coordinate and mentor others in the performance of project safety and health walk-through assessments.
- Possess an understanding of effective adult education methods; training program development and presentation experience preferred.
- Proven organizational and planning skills.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Must be available to support the needs of the organization as required during all shifts and emergency events.
- Must have a valid driver's license and continually meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Must pass a post-offer medical exam, including drug screen and background verification (may not apply to current employees).
- Course work or technical training in safety, chemistry, biology, regulatory compliance, and information technology.
- Professional certification such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM), or Graduate Safety Professional (GSP).
- Utility, chemical or construction safety experience.
- Experience with medical management and workers' compensation programs.
- Environmental regulatory knowledge.
- Completion of OSHA 10 Hour for General Industry and Construction Safety and Health, OSHA 510 - Standards for Construction Industry, and OSHA 511 - General Industry.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee may occasionally lift/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for several hours a day. The employee must be able to operate a vehicle, frequently move from one location to another, and be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. Must be able to occasionally position self to inspect, view, or examine tasks, activities, and equipment to help ensure safety compliance. The employee must be able to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, printer, and copy machine. Must be able to occasionally climb ladders and stand or work on elevated surfaces.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in both the field and a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate except when in the field on a jobsite.WaterOne provides a total compensation package that includes:
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Competitive base pay
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, and LTD insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Voluntary deferred compensation savings account
- Mandatory cash balance plan
- Comprehensive wellness program
- Educational assistance program
- A variety of other benefit programs and activities
WaterOne is an equal opportunity employer and upholds a non-discrimination policy. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, military status, or marital status in making employment and business decisions. We also prohibit harassment and retaliation in the workplace and in our dealings with the public. We encourage and welcome diversity of backgrounds in our workforce. WaterOne complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA).