Job Description Summary
The Senior Reagent Scientist works within a team that develops new point-of-care assays for human in vitro diagnostic use. The Senior Reagent Scientist supports various individual R&D teams and is principally responsible for leading and executing the day-to-day activities of the Reagent Team including the formulation, organization, and quality control of assay buffers and consumables. The associate applies good laboratory practice and analytical skills to manage the overall reagent inventory and works with other team members to resolve technical challenges. Works under the direction of Staff Scientists, Sr. Staff Scientists, or above.Job DescriptionBe part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge and Skills:
- Schedules and manages the day-to-day activities of the Reagent Team.
- Manages raw material inventory and initiates resupply orders as needed.
- Receives, aliquots, and labels all incoming materials and processes CoA's in accordance with Quality Policy.
- Monitors freezers and refrigerators to ensure proper storage conditions are maintained.
- Prepares various molecular biology reaction buffers, leveraging GLP/GMP standards.
- Assists in optimization and re-formulation of buffers to meet product development requirements.
- Formulates and lyophilizes master mixes for Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs).
- Performs and/or interprets chemical analysis of prepared buffer lots; analyzes, interprets, and trends reagent QC data.
- Maintains and manages associated equipment (ex: Lyophilizers, spectrophotometers, refractometers, etc.).
- Assists in the optimization of lyophilization protocols, including the application of real-time temperature and pressure monitoring systems.
- Utilizes a broad range of practical techniques in molecular biology and chemistry.
- Develops and/or adapts Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Maintains current knowledge of major technological and scientific developments in molecular diagnostics and leverages this knowledge within responsibility areas.
- Provides technical input to other scientists and provides support to other functional groups.
- Might assist with product quality investigations.
Education and Experience:
- Skilled with a variety of complex laboratory procedures and instruments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of lyophilization processes, and the application of lyophilization to molecular biology reagents
- Familiar with national and international chemical testing standards.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team, under direction, and independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Minimum of Master's degree in Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bio/Biomedical Engineering, or related field - or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant academic, clinical, or industry lab work required.
- Work experience in a laboratory requiring meticulous technique in the formulation of contamination-free, molecular grade buffers.
- Experience in diagnostic product development under Design Control is preferred.
- Experience running small teams preferred
- Experience working in a cGMP environment is preferred.
For many roles at BD, employment is contingent upon the Company's receipt of sufficient proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In some locations, weekly testing for COVID-19 may be available instead of vaccination. Consistent with BD's Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law. Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life's purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program - which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components - is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
PDNPrimary Work Location
USA CA - San Diego (IDS)Additional LocationsWork Shift