One of our core principles is a dedication to data-driven decision-making. To do that well, we need data scientists with a strong product sensibility to work alongside our product managers and technical leads.
Our Product Science team is a part of the Indeed Data Science group. While machine learning is one tool in our toolbox, Product Scientists use a variety of skills with the goal of driving business impact using whatever tools necessary. You will use quantitative analysis, data mining, and machine learning techniques to understand how hundreds of millions of jobseekers and employers are interacting on Indeed, and how those interactions are reflected in our data.
- Work alongside product managers and engineering teams to help guide tactical and strategic product decisions.
- Design and use statistically sound methodologies for evaluating hundreds of tests on thousands of web pages across dozens of business-relevant metrics.
- Work alongside other data scientists and software engineers to expand Indeed's catalog of tools, techniques, and best practices for manipulating and interpreting terabytes of product data.
- Work across a wide range of related areas - data extraction and cleansing, feature engineering, machine learning, exploratory analysis, data quality analysis, experimental analysis.
This role in particular is staffed on the Matching team. The Matching team is part of the search product and are in charge of interpreting queries in the "What" of Indeed, and generating a list of relevant jobs to display back to the Job Seekers. This occurs on the order of 10's of millions queries a day! In addition to Job Seeker searches, the Matching team's products are also used to power internal products for recommendations to Job Seekers, and generate data to understand trends in queries and the job market.
The Product Scientist that joins the matching team will be focused on particular challenges in the near term, including;
- How to confidently measure recall and precision in a search setting
- How to increase our test velocity to empower the organization to make changes faster
- How to improve our matching strategies in general
- Analyzing query trends in general to generate net new product direction and ideas
Who You Are
Who we are
- MS in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or a closely related quantitative field
- 5+ years of professional industry experience in Data Science, Business Analytics, or Data Analysis
- Knowledge of applied statistics within a business setting, such as A/B testing
- Experience coding in Python, R or another advanced data programming language
- Ability to write and present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
Above are a set of recommended qualifications for a product scientist at Indeed. If you feel that you generally fit the mold, but are missing some aspects, we encourage you to apply regardless! Things that may set you apart:
- Experience or academic background in information retrieval
- Has experience working on a search engine (Bing, Yahoo, Google) or as part of a search engine product at another company (Yelp, Kayak)
- Demonstrated experience working on NLP projects in an applied setting
We are a rapidly growing and highly-capable Engineering organization building the most popular job site on the planet. With engineering hubs in Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Tokyo, Singapore, Hyderabad, Dublin, Aberdeen and Vancouver, we are improving people's lives all around the world, one job search at a time.Our Mission
As the world's number 1 job site*, our mission is to help people get jobs. We strive to cultivate an inclusive and accessible workplace where all people feel comfortable being themselves. We're looking to grow our teams with more people who share our enthusiasm for innovation and creating the best experience for job seekers.
(*comScore Total Visits, March 2021)Salary Range Disclaimer
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the Indeed salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Indeed's total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include quarterly bonuses, Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), an open Paid Time Off policy, and many region-specific benefits.Salary Range Transparency
Seattle 133,000 - 193,000 USD per yearEqual Opportunities and Accommodations Statement
Indeed is deeply committed to building a workplace and global community where inclusion is not only valued, but prioritized. We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neuro-diversity, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Indeed is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. To request an accommodation, please contact Talent Attraction Help at 1-855-567-7767, or by email at TAhelp@indeed.com at least one week in advance of your interview.Our Policies and Benefits
View Indeed's Applicant Privacy and Accessibility Policies - https://www.indeed.com/legal/indeed-jobsLearn about our global employee perks, programs and benefits - https://benefits.indeed.jobs/
Where legally permitted, Indeed requires all individuals attending or working out of Indeed offices or visiting Indeed clients to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For positions that can only be performed at an Indeed office, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and present acceptable proof of vaccination by the date of hire as a condition of employment. Indeed will consider requests for reasonable accommodation as required under applicable law. To qualify as being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 there should have been a two week period after receiving the second dose (or any government recommended booster shot) in a 2-dose COVID-19 vaccine series, or a two week period after receiving a single-dose (or any government recommended booster shot) in a single dose COVID-19 vaccine.