Umoja Biopharma is a game-changing biotech start-up with locations in Seattle, WA and Boulder, CO, focused on transforming the treatment of cancer with a novel integrated immunotherapy platform. Our vision is to develop off-the-shelf therapies capable of treating any tumor, any time. We are a diverse and growing team working in brand-new facilities in downtown Seattle, Washington, and Boulder, Colorado, and we are looking for innovative thinkers who are excited by groundbreaking science and technology, and passionate about squaring up to the challenges inherent to cutting edge drug development. We are committed to the principles of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and strongly invite applications from enthusiastic individuals who share our commitment and help position Umoja as a leader in this front.
We at Umoja believe in the importance of stories; we are looking for great people to join our team to help us create more stories for ourselves, for you, and most importantly for patients and their families.
Umoja Biopharma - Your Body. Your Hope. Your Cure. Position Overview
Umoja is looking for an ambitious Biochemist to collaborate and develop analytical methods and reagents to understand expression of payload proteins introduced by our gene therapy vector for drug product release or in-process characterization. The individual will collaborate with research, process development and quality teams, and partner with leadership to execute robust analytical methods that support the development of Umoja's in vivo CAR-T cell therapies. The ideal candidate has experience in analytical method design and testing, protein expression characterization (e.g. Western blot / Jess, ELISA, immunofluorescence) and a demonstrated skillset/knowledge of analytical development. The team member will be accountable for executing analytical methods related to drug candidates' strength/potency. This position works closely with cross functional peers to deliver drug product characterization, potency and QC release assays and transfer qualified/validated methods to CMOs and CTLs.
This candidate will be a crucial team member in the technical operations organization who will play an important role in advancing Umoja's pipeline and Analytical Development capabilities. Umoja is committed to enabling the growth and professional development of all team members and this position is an excellent opportunity for a motivated biochemist to take their career to the next level.Responsibilities:
- Enable the successful design, execution, analysis, and documentation of experiments to develop analytical methods for CAR-T cell therapies
- Develop methods and reagents to detect and characterize viral vector proteins or those expressed by our payload in transduced cells using SDS-PAGE, Western Blot / Jess, ELISA or similar methods
- Troubleshoot new and existing methods to make them more reproducible and robust
- Drive bringing in new technologies to analytical development for support of business objectives
- Foster good teamwork and communication.
- Build reputation of excellence as an individual and as a team
- Present findings on method development to cross-functional team
- Author, review and approve technical documents including standard operating procedures, test methods, and technical reports
- Present findings on method development and provide interpretation and strategic plans related to the proteins expressed by cross-functional teams
- Associate Scientist Level: MS/BS in Biochemistry with 2/5 + years of experience respectively
- Senior Research Associate Level: MS/BS in Biochemistry with 0/2 + years of experience respectively
- Experience with method development, including experimental design, execution, data analysis, and documentation
- Experience with, and understanding of SDS-PAGE, Western Blot / Jess, ELISA
- Experience developing or characterizing reagents for protein detection, such as antibodies or aptamers
- Experience qualifying and transferring analytical methods to QC lab setting
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work on multiple projects
- Strong communication skills in technical writing and oral presentation
- Competency with data analysis software such as excel, prism graph, Gen5 or SoftMax, etc.
Pursuant to Umoja Biopharma's Vaccine Policy, we are currently requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. In addition, you must provide proof of vaccination to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. Umoja will consider reasonable accommodation for medical condition/disability and sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance unless such accommodation would result in an undue hardship.