A Research Associate/Research Associate II/Associate Scientist position is available at the visionary cell therapy startup Stemson Therapeutics Corp. The candidate will be part of a dynamic research and development team focused on hair follicle restoration using human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs).
We seek a conscientious individual who is passionate about cell culture and translational medicine, who has hands-on experience with in vivo studies, and who is interested in cell therapies. The candidate will isolate and culture cells from patient and animal samples, generate hair follicle organoids, perform in vivo transplantations in our mouse and pig models, and analyze the cell and tissue products using a variety of analytical and biochemical techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform in vivo experiments in mouse and pig models, including implant surgeries and other routine procedures, such as health monitoring, imaging, tissue collection, analysis, and necropsy.
- Perform human and animal iPSC and/or primary cell culture, including cell isolation from tissue, cell line maintenance (culture expansion, freezing), and preparation of large quantities of cells for assays
- Collaborate with different project lead Scientists for data generation, collection, analysis, and presentation.
- Characterize cells and tissues using qPCR, flow cytometry, histological, and microscopy techniques.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance tasks including preparing reagents, aliquoting solutions, autoclaving tools, cleaning and preparing equipment and supplies
- Productively and collegially interact with project team members
- Occasional weekend and evening work for cell culture or animal monitoring, on rotation with others
Required Skills and Experience
- MS degree and 2-years in vivo lab experience in an academic, biotechnology, pharmaceutical or CRO setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Hands-on experience performing surgeries on immunocompromised rodents is required
- Mammalian cell culture, including media preparation with aseptic technique
- Strong attention to detail, analytical, time management, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently in a small, extremely fast paced environment with a positive outlook and a team-oriented attitude
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Background in molecular & cellular biology, with proficiency in mammalian cell culture, organoid culture, microscopy, and histological analysis
- Experience with human and/or animal iPSC, skin-derived cells, including fibroblasts and keratinocytes
- Operation of 3D culture systems, cell culture analytical techniques such as microscopy, flow cytometry, nucleic acid extraction, qPCR, plasmid mini-prep, and DNA sequence analysis
About Stemson Therapeutics
Stemson Therapeutics mission is to bring the power of regenerative cell therapy to millions of hair loss sufferers by offering a truly curative solution to regrow hair follicles. Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) offer the transformative capability of differentiating into any cell type in the human body, including the specialized cells that control hair follicle formation. Through cutting edge science based on iPSC technology developed by the company founders at the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, Stemson pledges to make hair loss a problem of the past. The promise of helping millions of people overcome the emotional trauma and mental health challenges associated with hair loss is what drives our passionate team members every day. As innovative therapeutics start up, were looking for ambitious people with an entrepreneurial spirit, a patient-oriented mind set, and a desire to make a big difference in the world. Our culture is fueled by collaboration, openness, integrity and innovation.
Our office is located in sunny La Jolla, CA next to the University of California, San Diego in one of the great life science research and innovation hubs in the country. We offer a competitive pay, equity and benefits package, and the opportunity to have fun while developing a revolutionary cell therapy. If this excites you, lets talk.