This document is intended to be a summary of the current job profile.
Data Programmer II
Director, Data Services
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of Position:
The Programmer is responsible for programming and scripting languages to develop complex variable programs based on customer specific business rules and requirements, and generating print ready file streams in PDF or IJPDS that will be printed on digital imaging and in-line presses. Position is responsible for analyzing the customer's specifications to prepare detailed data-driven production programming files used in press manufacturing operations in accordance with customer campaign specifications, data and art work. Position operates independently in terms of configuring data and image project specifications based on client's needs and requirements following quality control protocols to ensure final product meets established company and departmental standards.
Key Relationships (Internal and External):Internal:
Project Management; Customer Service; Press Manufacturing Operations; Finance &
Clients; Qualified Third Party Service Providers
Principal Accountabilities and Duties:
- Support accounts or projects by utilizing departmental resources, evaluating individual project or client needs, as well as prioritizing, tracking, and maintaining records of cost and schedules.
- Work with Project Management/Customer Service Team to receive/review and analyze client specifications and instructions.
- Match client-supplied size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, style, and size of type. Analyze customer data, instructions, artwork, and build and integrate into a data format using variable composition software (GMC Print Net/Inspire).
- Manage document assets including the development and maintenance of project-specific workflow documentation along with maintaining detailed project documentation.
- Provide a series of quality control protocols to ensure project meets client specifications and instructions. Review quality of final product before releasing to client, present proof samples for internal review/approval prior to delivery to client for selection and/or approval.
- Create finished output and supporting documentation for equipment-specific press manufacturing requirements.
- Maintain technical competency and remain current in technology and changes within the industry, as well as follow established company and department QC and SOP standards.
- Coordinate with customer service, billing, and invoicing departments to ensure accurate cost of additional time and services.
- Provide off-hours/weekend support for a 24/7 manufacturing operation.
Principal Accountabilities and Duties: (Cont.)
- Working in a team environment, coordinate with Project Management/Customer Service, Production, and other departments to move jobs efficiently through its lifecycle process, at the highest level of quality and accuracy, and on schedule.
Dimensions for the Job:Key Job Dimension (e.g., Budget)
The dimensions of the job relate to the size of projects. Errors can cost the Company millions of dollars in lost revenue or clients.
Supervision (where applicable):
Number of Direct Reports:
Total Number in Group Supervised:
Describe Supervisory Responsibilities:
This position has no direct supervisory responsibility but each team member may quality check another team member's work. More senior team members provide technical or functional guidance to other team members.
Listing of Titles of Direct Reports:
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Working knowledge in C++ Programming language or equivalent.
- PC Proficiency required, Mac Proficiency desired.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Lync, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio) and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver).
- Variable Data Print (VDP) software such as GMC Inspire, Page Flex, XMPie, Xtreme Dialogue, Fusion Pro.
- If-then-else relational logic, scripting, and object-oriented programming languages.
- Mathematical and effective communication skills required: ability to calculate numbers/fractions/decimals in all units of measure, as well as, verbal and written communication skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with external and internal clients.
- Type of Education Required:
- Information Systems Degree or a similar job-related major. Two (2) years' technical data analysis, manipulation and integration experience in the publishing industry, preferred.
- Direct Mail print related experience and basic understanding of USPS guidelines for letter package formatting.
- Type of Experience and Number of Years:
This would depend on the position but minimally one (1) to two (2) years of industry related experience in a publishing environment using manipulation of data and images to meet customer requirements. More senior positions would require eight (8) to ten (10) years.
- Analysis (Problem Identification)
- Customer Service Orientation
- Judgment (Problem Solution)
- Technical/Professional Knowledge
8. Work Standards