Exscientia is a company that is committed to getting medicines to patients in the fastest and most effective manner. We do this by applying the latest research in Artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and modern high-performance computational methods to transform drug design. Exscientia is at the forefront of Artificial Intelligence (AI) driven drug discovery and the only company to have used AI to design drug molecules that are currently in clinical studies.
All our Innovation is driven by people; highly talented multi-disciplinary teams that work collaboratively to solve real world drug discovery problems. Following multiple partnerships with many leading pharmaceutical companies and research institutes, we have a robust and rapidly expanding portfolio of projects and we are looking to substantially expand our drug discovery operations. We are now adding key appointments to our group Director, Discovery Chemistry and Design. Reporting to the VP, US Medicinal Chemistry, this position is integral in building and delivering the Companys drug discovery pipeline as it executes the next phase of its life cycle. We are looking for proven drug hunters to join our team.
WHAT ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES?
* Serve as Project lead on drug discovery projects where you are accountable to set, drive and delivery the project strategy and established milestones.
* As project lead, collaborate with cross-functional colleagues to deliver key scientific data at critical GNG decision points.
* Serve as Chemistry lead on drug discovery projects by collaborating with the computational design team to build a chemistry and design strategy, and flow scheme, that aligns with the project TPP.
* As chemistry lead, collaborate with design team members, coordinate compound synthesis, characterization and submission, with external chemistry resources to ensure timeline adherence and project alignment with company goals.
* Build and maintain productive relationships with the computational platform and design teams to drive development and improvement of computational tools that enable and drive compound design.
Finally, as a seasoned drug hunter, you will provide mentorship to less experienced medicinal chemistry team members as they build their medicinal chemistry careers within Exscientia.
The influence of this position extends beyond Exscientias drug discovery portfolio. Suitable candidates will be expected to provide medicinal chemistry input on potential new biological targets to support decisions on their inclusion in the Exscientia portfolio (e.g. druggability assessments, strategic design approach, hit-finding strategies).
* Experience *leading* cross functional drug discovery projects from hit ID through candidate selection.
* Experience collaborating with cross-functional colleagues to deliver key scientific data at critical project decision points.
* Demonstrable track record of *leading* small molecule optimization programs from hit selection through lead optimization and into _in vivo_ safety and efficacy studies.
* Awareness of modern drug discovery hit ID approaches, data analysis tools, quality metrics, and synthetic approaches.
* Demonstrable experience with a variety of computational tools that support compound design.
* Experience with modern aspects of compound optimization including: computer-aided drug design, the role of physiochemical properties in compound quality, interpretation of _in vitro_ and _in vivo_ ADMET studies and the key aspects that drive human dose.
* Enthusiastically integrate and evaluate algorithm-derived compound designs and provide feedback on improvements and development of internal tools and approaches.
* Work and communicate effectively both locally and remotely in spoken and written English
* A PhD in Chemistry, Computational Sciences or a related field.
* 10+ years experience in a drug discovery environment with a demonstrable track record of optimizing small molecules to drug candidates, across different target classes.
* Mastery of traditional organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry principles, and modern computational chemistry approaches to compound design.
* Demonstrable experience and involvement with late-stage pre-clinical projects.
* An opportunity to make a positive contribution to patients by revolutionizing the pharmaceutical industry through AI driven drug discovery.
* The ability to strongly influence and help drive the growth of a new US-based Exscientia research site with world class technical and scientific leaders.
* An opportunity to grow your career at the interface of paradigm shifting artificial intelligence and compound optimization to drive drug discovery.
* A highly competitive compensation package and flexible scheduling to support our employees as we continue to grow and thrive.
* The opportunity to join an inclusive, collaborative and intellectually stimulating culture.
* We will work with you to provide a highly competitive compensation as we continue to grow and thrive.
* Our teams health and well-being is important to us which is why we provide comprehensive health insurance (Medical, Dental & Vision) and 401(k) plan, wellbeing and mindfulness support.
* We offer a generous holiday allowance, provide flexible working and remote working to encourage all of our team to manage their own work, time and life
* Hear from our team why they enjoy working here Click here [
Exscientia embraces equal opportunity and is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive community where everybody feels welcome. We welcome applications from all people regardless of background.