Facilitates student success in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documents teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; address specific educational needs of students' providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and provides feedback to students, parents, and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
The Dual Language Program allows students to develop high levels of proficiency in Spanish and English. This 50/50 Dual Language program model enrolls both Heritage Speakers of Spanish and students with English as their first language. Students receive half of the day's instruction in Spanish and half in English. The program nurtures students' understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures. Students heighten their understanding of their own language and the target language they are acquiring.
This job reports to the Principal.
Please note: This position is expected to start after January 2, 2022.
*Education:* Bachelor's degree in job-related area. Master's degree preferred.
*Certificates & Licenses:* Must hold a valid Virginia Department of Education License, or eligibility to obtain one, with an endorsement in Elementary Education PreK-3 or PreK-6.
*Experience: Job-related* experience within the specialized fields with increasing levels of responsibility required. Elementary teaching experience preferred.
* Academic language proficiency in English and Spanish.
* Knowledge of current standards, curriculum, and instructional practices in language arts and the content areas.
* Commitment to the goals of dual language; previous experience in a dual-language program preferred.
* Knowledge of methods and strategies for teaching academic content to second language learners preferred.
* Commitment and ability to work with a full range of students, including gifted students, students with disabilities, English language learners, and students from diverse cultural and social backgrounds.
* A strong and positive attitude that all students can learn and have the capacity for academic excellence.
* Understand and apply knowledge about cultural norms, values, and beliefs in the context of teaching and learning.
* Ability to integrate technology into instruction.
* Remains current on research-based methods and strategies for working with culturally and linguistically diverse students.
* Provides Spanish language instruction in language arts and academic content areas.
* Collaborates with English dual language partner teachers and other colleagues to plan and coordinate instruction.
* Plans differentiated classroom instruction that addresses a range of language proficiency levels and individual learning needs.
* Adapts instructional materials for Spanish language learners.
* Administers developmental testing programs, subject-specific assessments, etc. to assess student competency levels and/or developing individual learning plans.
* Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress to communicate expectations; student achievements; develops methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
* Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals to provide feedback to students, parents, and administration.
* Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents, and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of student outcomes, achieving established classroom objectives in support of the school improvement plan.
* Counsels students to improve performance, health status, problem-solving techniques, and a variety of personal issues.
* Demonstrates methods required to perform classroom and/or subject-specific assignments to provide an effective program that addresses individual student requirements.
* Directs assistant teachers, student teachers, instructional assistants, volunteers, and/or student workers to provide an effective classroom program and addressing the needs of individual students.
* Instructs students to improve their success in academic, interpersonal, and daily living skills through a defined course of study.
* Manages student behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning environment.
* Monitors students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, nap times, etc.) to provide a safe and positive learning environment.
* Participates in a variety of meetings to convey and/or gather information required to perform functions.
* Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) to document student progress and meet mandated requirements.
* Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) to maintain the personal safety of students, provide a positive learning environment, and adhere to the Education Code and school policies.
* May perform other additional duties or tasks as designated by supervisor.
* Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
* Tuberculosis Skin Test.
*Public Health Compliance*
* Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
* Must follow safety and health protocols.
John Adams Elementary School
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/)