Health, Safety and Environment SpecialistTake your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
This role contributes to improving health, safety and environment (HSE) performance, helping the organization to deliver a high-performing culture through clear accountability and a skilled organization in the Distribution Solutions Division, will support the business by applying in-depth HSE knowledge to offer solutions and advice as it relates to safe operation and compliance with all Federal State and OSHA laws, specializing in environmental safety. Additionally, this role facilitates delivery of support from the Center of Expertise (CoE) and ensures effective risk management through HSE excellence along ABB's value chain.
Reporting to the Business Health, Safety & Environment Manager, you will lead by example, applying your in-depth HSE knowledge to provide solutions and advice to address a variety of issues. You will drive behavioral change through implementing the Group-wide system, training, and aiding from the Center of Expertise.Your responsibilities
- Identify, address, and resolve concerns or gaps with processes or documentation for air, wastewater, stormwater permits, UST, RCRA and radioactive materials.
- Ensure plant-wide compliance with EPA (CWA, EPCRA & CAA), DOT, OSHA, State, Local and Company regulations.
- Maintain solid relationships with regulatory agencies.
- Facilitate environmental reporting and inspections for local and state authorities.
- Ensure no regulatory gaps occur during expansion projects for the site.
- Maintain environmental program compliance systems to meet the regulatory requirement within its air permit, TRI, Tier 2, hazardous and non-hazardous waste management, and Industrial User Permit.
- Facilitation of sitewide monthly safety training.
- Champion for Safety culture and engagement.
- Build relationships with people leaders and employees, empower them to proactively find and resolve potential safety concerns.
- Ensure contractors are following the tenants of our contractor safety program.
- Collaborate with Security to enforce the site safety and security requirements.
- Assist site with all recertification's to maintain Carolina Star status.
- Active participant on the ABB Safety Committee.
- Communicate and give guidance for all Covid-19 and Coronavirus related events at the facility.
- On-time submission of all environmental reports for wastewater and stormwater permits, Tier II, biennial report, environmental stewardship, TRI and company sustainability requirements.
- Lead the review and update for the SWP3 and SPCC plans.
- Annually submit safety award application to NCDOL.
- Lead facilitate and/or participate in Fair Process and other investigations related to HSE incidents, develop and follow up on corrective actions.
- Manage site uniform policy and process to ensure all clothing assignments meet Safety requirements for assigned role.
- Handle all security badging requirements for site access and personnel.
- Provide support to Quality team for external ISO audits.
More about us
- Bachelor's degree in Health/Safety/Environmental or related field of study.
- Minimum 5 years of Safety experience in a production, industrial environment.
- Experience working with environmental agencies a plus.
- Strong project management and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines and to bring assignments to a successful completion.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral; excellent team player.
- Strong environmental background is preferred.
- Experience dealing with regulatory agencies.
- Intelex HSE management system preferred but not required.
- Working experience implementing ISO 14001 & ISO 45001 management system.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
ABB's Distribution Solutions Division provides utility, industrial and commercial customers with safe, smart and sustainable technologies for the distribution of electricity. With ABB AbilityTM enabled digital solutions at its core, our extensive portfolio includes distribution automation products, switching, limiting, measuring and sensing devices, switchgear, modular substation packages, and related services.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.