SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.Job Description PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Microbiologist, Level 1 Technician is a Junior laboratory position and works independently on assigned Microbiological projects and conducts analyses of raw materials, finished products and waters. As a professional scientist, the junior Microbiologist is expected to work under the guidance of supervisors and managers, develop skills and understanding of laboratory procedures, exhibit technical expertise, be able to document data and report findings; and stay current with Microbiological literature and standards for analyses.
The employee in this position will also Conduct analyses of samples in accordance with USP, EP, ASTM, AOAC, FDA, EPA procedures, procedures supplied by the client, and other non-routine procedures as encountered. Know how to access appropriate technical references and document data in notebooks and LIMS.SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional ConductRESPONSIBILITIES
Qualifications "In the course of employment, you will be required to travel to and/or work at a client site. The company requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to travel commercially and many clients require visitors performing work at their locations to be vaccinated. Therefore, this role requires a candidate who is fully vaccinated or will be prior to an anticipated start date. The successful candidate will be required to provide proof of having received a COVID-19 vaccination. The company will provide a reasonable accommodation upon request after an offer is extended."REQUIRED SKILLS
- Prepares media and reagents required for conduct of microbiological analyses
- Practices aseptic techniques, good housekeeping, and disinfection per laboratory SOPs
- Responsible for accurate and timely recordkeeping, diligently following standards for analysis and SOPs.
- Accountable for quality assurance tasks vital to the position, including, but not limited to, lab area monitoring, media qualification, incubator, instrument and equipment calibration and maintenance and sterilization procedures.
- Conducts analyses of samples in accordance with USP, EP ASTM, AOAC, FDA, EPA or other compendia procedures, procedures supplied by the client, and other non-routine procedures as encountered. Shall know how to access appropriate technical references and document data in notebooks and LIMS.
- Schedules analyses so that completion deadlines are met but also so that analyses are thoroughly and thoughtfully conducted
- Data entry, receiving/returning calls, sending/receiving information, copying of documents, processing assignments
- Documents activities in accordance with cGMP.
- Maintains orderly work area.
- Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology, Biology, or closely related discipline.
- Proficient in scientific reasoning,
- Possess writing and verbal communication skills, and demonstrate mathematical ability
- Facility for a wide variety of laboratory procedures
- Proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel. PowerPoint, Outlook,).
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Ensures full compliance with the company's Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
- Works independently on assigned Microbiological projects and conducts analyses of raw materials, finished products and waters.
- Job requires mobile use of hands and arms. Must be capable of working at a lab bench for up to three hours at a time, and for up to eight hours in a given day. Must be capable of working at a desk and computer for up to three hours at a time, and for eight hours in a given day. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.
- This job is performed in an indoor temperature controlled environment.
- Extended hours may be required from time to time.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.