Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their instructional field. He/she will be responsible for quality instruction and for effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the college.
Under general supervision, this individual will prepare and teach Biology courses designed for Biology programs. The faculty member must be able to instruct a wide variety of topics within the curriculum in a laboratory environment and may be required to teach day, evening and/or weekend hours. Duties/Functions Teaching
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
developing learner centered lesson plans
employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse student population
preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate
conducting appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes in courses and programs/general education as appropriate
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or accreditation
participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching skills and strategies
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment and student records to include:
maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned equipment
providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional materials and maintaining safe working conditions
maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs (e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
complying with all applicable college, state and federal rules and regulations
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
addressing student concerns in a timely manner
promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies for success
referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate
Demonstrate and model the Colleges employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor. Difficult Challenges Contacts Education Required Masters degree in biology or a related field from a regionally accredited university with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hour credits in Biology. Education Preferred Doctoral degree in Biology from a regionally accredited university. Experience Required Teaching and/or industry training experience. Experience Preferred Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery systems KSA Required The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its open door policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned.
Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery systems
The Instructor must be able to:
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments.
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively
6. Ability to effectively implement and apply technology solutions. KSA Preferred Department/Job Specific Requirements Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire) and annual updates as required; other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
2. Discrimination & Anti-Harassment (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
3. Shooter on Campus (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
4. Personal Information Protection (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
5. Ethics and Social Responsibility (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
6. eLearning Level One (before the first day of the first semester teaching)
7. eLearning Levels Two and Three for instructors who teach online or hybrid delivery methods (before the first day of the first semester teaching) Physical Demands 1.May include teaching day and evening and/or weekend hours.
2. Physical Requirements
a. Maintain student records.
b. Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
1. Criminal history checks, with acceptable results, are required. Posting Type Adjunct Faculty