APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM:
ALL PERSONS INTERESTEDDIVISION/ SECTION:
GREENSPACE/GROUND MAINTENANCEWORKDAYS & HOURS:
WED-SUN; 7 AM - 4 PM *Subject to changeDESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
This individual will supervise, coordinate, train, and evaluate Parks' personnel job assignments.
- Provide visitor services by explaining Park regulations; answer visitor requests, needs, and complaints; and provide information about the park and its surrounding areas.
- Prepares, assembles, and distributes educational materials and conducts educational presentations and training programs.
- Recruits and Guides field trips for students and other visiting groups to point out scientific, historic, and natural features of parks, forests, historic sites, or other attractions.
- Confers with park staff to determine subjects and schedules for educational park programs.
- Participates in training and self-education; reads and analyzes environmental education curriculum guides and outdoor education and planning information.
- Constructs historical, scientific, and nature visitor-center displays.
- Prepares and presents illustrated lectures and interpretive talks about park features.
- Assist staff and prepares discussions about park features, biological inventories, and ecological assessments of natural areas.
- Conducts vegetation management, natural area restoration, and invasive species removal utilizing manual, mechanical, and chemical methods.
- Will be required to train and supervise volunteers. Perform miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
This position occasionally requires stooping or bending. Occasional light lifting such as three or four reams of papers or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) and is physically demanding and will require walking and standing in outdoors approximately 70% of the time. There are routine discomforts from exposure to moderate heat, cold, moisture/wetness and unpleasant air conditions. May involve routine exposure to soiled materials and light chemical substances such as cleaning solutions. Job Requirements:EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Biology (field or wildlife), environmental science, natural science, or a closely related field.
Knowledge of local flora (plants) and fauna (animals) is required.
Required to become a Texas Master Naturalist within 12 months of hire. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
One (1) year of experience in environmental/outdoor education and program planning and implementation are required.
Directly related professional experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
NonePreference will be given to applicants who have a valid driver's license and comply with the City of Houston's policy on driving (AP 2-2) **Eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.** SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview.. SAFETY IMPACT POSITION
YES - If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test. Pay Grade 18SALARY INFORMATION
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov. To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm. For application status inquiries, please contact 832.395-7127Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. If you need special services or accommodations call TTY 7-1-1.EEO Equal Opportunity Employer The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identify, or pregnancy.