Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
This position provides support, strategic direction, tactical execution, policy guidance, and advice in the areas of safety, health, the environment, and sustainability for their assigned Emergent location. This leadership role has primary responsibility for development and implementation of Emergent EHS programs that manage, mitigate, and where possible, eliminate EHS risks to Emergent BioSolutions employees, contractors, facilities and communities in which the company operates.
Additionally, this position may advise/consult in the development of enterprise EHS strategies and initiatives.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Business - 30%
Provides advise in the development of enterprise strategic EHS plans in collaboration with business and functional needs.
Provides advice to ensure that enterprise objectives are in alignment with current best practices for occupational health and environmental health and safety.
At assigned location:
- In collaboration with location leadership team and EHS leadership, develops robust EHS plans to ensure conformance with regulatory and company requirements.
- Develops location EHS goals, monitors performance and reports on progress.
- Assists in the development of their annual EHS budget; actively manages and monitors performance to EHS budget.
Technical - 40%
Provides advise in the development, planning and implementation of environmental, health, safety, and sustainability programs across the enterprise.
At assigned location:
- Serves as a technical EHS resource for the leadership team.
- Manages implementation of enterprise EHS policies, procedures, and programs.
- Manages training and inspection programs to ensure compliance with applicable occupational EHS standards.
- Monitors and ensures optimal performance of Environmental Health and Safety programs.
- Conducts on-going data and risk analyses to trend and identify known and/or emerging EHS risks and develop mitigation strategies.
- Manages execution of tactical and strategic initiatives to eliminate hazards and reduce or eliminate risks.
- Leads continuous assessments of EHS hazards and risks and provides assistance where specific technical expertise is required to meet applicable regulations, enterprise policies, procedures, and programs.
- Manages the investigations of all EHS incidents and ensures timely and complete implementation of corrective actions.
- Manages the implementation of actions and activities to minimize and manage workers compensation claims and associated costs. Provides hands-on assistance as necessary.
- Develops and manages the EHS training program; delivers appropriate EHS training.
- Manages implementation of sustainability initiatives to achieve enterprise sustainability goals.
Culture Management & Employee Development - 30%
At assigned location:
- Leads and develops EHS professionals (if applicable)
- Effectively builds and maintains collaborative relations with peers, direct reports (if applicable), and internal customers.
- Coaches at all levels of the organization on the disciplines of an EHS culture.
- Acts as an effective change agent; promotes excellence and challenges traditional thinking, boundaries, and modes of operation.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects managements assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
6+ years of progressive experience in EHS in manufacturing or production operations.
Strong understanding and experience in EHS Management Systems and their successful implementation.
Must have strong substantive knowledge of applicable EHS regulations.
Strong commitment to business ethics and integrity.
Strong technical ability to work, collaborate and negotiate with government officials, consultants, and other third-party stakeholders.
Bachelors degree in a related discipline (prefer Environmental Sciences, Occupational Health, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or Industrial Hygiene); will give consideration to an equivalent level of education, experience, and skills.
Develops and maintains good relationships, gains the confidence of others and works effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix environment.
Strategic thinker with creative and excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
Resilient self-starter, who can act independently and learn quickly within a rapidly evolving environment.
Excellent analytical skills and ability to critically interpret and use data to manage risk.
Strong understanding of Return-to-Work programs and policies.
Position requires compliance with the site Immunization Policy which may include vaccination with BioThrax. Position includes participation in occupational health programs including animal allergy and respiratory protection programs. Position requires work with Select Agents as defined by the CDC.
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.ABOUT EMERGENT
Protecting and Enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030 focuses our energy to improve the quality of life for individuals around the world, giving them the opportunity to experience the fullness of life.
Our drive towards this vision informs all of our actionswhether it is our approach to product development, manufacturing, encouraging employee health and wellness or giving back to the communitywe strive every day to achieve this shared goal. WE BELIEVE IN OUR VALUES
- Stand shoulder to shoulder no matter what
- We combine our best thinking and communicate openly to support each other.
- Break through thinking
- We take smart risks, pursue innovation and challenge ourselves to constantly improve.
- Own it always
- Every person at Emergent is engaged and accountable for delivering on our commitments.
- Compete where it counts
- We set the right goals and respect each other as we conquer them together.