Hooray Foods is on a mission to combat climate change, enhance the world's ecosystems, and prevent animal suffering, all by providing people around the world with delicious food that gives them the same experience and joy as eating animal products - Hooray!!
Our first product is a plant-based bacon called Hooray Bacon that looks, handles, and tastes almost like the real thing. We need an amazing Protein Scientist to help make our current product better and lead innovation in future protein work.
You will work closely with a team of Food Scientists to support research and development efforts of the company. This role will be responsible for the modification, purification, and characterization of both animal and plant proteins. The focus of this position will be on improving current products through the study of protein interactions in complex systems as well as spearheading development for novel protein ingredients. Successful individuals will be result-oriented, self-motivated, and meticulous about their work. Taking ownership of the work that you do, and approaching tasks with an organized, methodical manner will render you successful in this position.
Your work will be based in our amazing R&D kitchen and analytical lab in downtown San Francisco where you'll work closely with the entire Hooray team.MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead efforts in sourcing and developing new plant protein ingredients targeting desired application characteristics
- Create and optimize plant-based protein properties to better match animal-based proteins
- Design and develop novel technology for protein research and ingredient discovery
- Analyze functional properties of proteins in complex matrix systems (polysaccharides, fats, lipids, etc.) and their application in such systems
- Collaborate with Food Scientist team to transfer protein research into bench top product prototypes and subsequent scale up efforts
- Present research findings and reports in a well-organized written and verbal manner
- Participate in pilot scale production runs as required
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ph.D. with 2+ years of experience or M.S. with 4+ years of experience. Degree in Biology, Protein Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Food Science or a related field
- Extensive hands-on experience in protein modification/purification/characterization, protein engineering, molecular biology, and protein biochemistry
- Detailed knowledge of protein (especially plant-based) physical and chemical properties
- In-depth understanding of the structural-functional relationship of proteins and protein impurities
- Hands-on experience with enzymatic reactions related to proteins and amino acids
- Experience with protein analytical methods such as HPLC, LC-MS, FPLC, electrophoresis, mass-spectrometry, isotopic labelling, etc.
- Track record of successful project management from ideation, experimental design to final execution in the food or biotechnology industry
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Detail oriented and extremely organized
- Excellent time management, organization skills, and project management skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Hooray Foods, Inc. Sponsorship available in certain cases.
- Laboratory kitchen and office with less than 10% travel
- Must be able to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
We're a small and mighty team, but as we grow we know the most important thing is that we have an amazing team that shares the same vision for the world and knows how to work together to get there. To us, this means diversity, creativity, teamwork, passion, compassion, and an ability to have fun with the work we are doing.