Hooray Foods is on a mission to combat climate change, enhance the world's ecosystems, and prevent animal suffering, all by providing people around the world with delicious food that gives them the same experience and joy as eating animal products - Hooray!!
Our first product is a plant-based bacon called Hooray Bacon that looks, handles, and tastes almost like the real thing. We need an amazing Sensory Scientist to help make our current product better and lead data driven product development.
You will work closely with a team of Food Scientists to support research and development efforts of the company. This role will be responsible for the development of an in-house sensory program and for applying sensory science to support product development. The focus of this position will be on improving current products through the use of data from sensory studies to alter flavor, texture, and color of said products. Successful individuals will be result-oriented, self-motivated, and meticulous about their work. Taking ownership of the work that you do, and approaching tasks with an organized, methodical manner will render you successful in this position.
Your work will be based in our amazing R&D kitchen and analytical lab in downtown San Francisco where you'll work closely with the entire Hooray team.MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead development of in-house sensory program to support product development efforts
- Identify appropriate type of sensory or consumer research needed, and design subsequent test protocols (i.e. consumer testing, descriptive/discrimination testing, etc.)
- Plan and execute in-house and consumer sensory studies that will guide flavor, texture, and color development
- Work routinely with Food Scientists/Product Development Scientists to test bench top prototypes through sensory testing
- Analyze and interpret data of sensory/consumer tests
- Conduct experimental studies to test various hypotheses
- Design shelf life studies
- Explore and implement new research methods to continuously improve the efficiency and value of the sensory program
- Work with data sets and apply statistical techniques to make decisions
- Mentor panelist and train the in-house team on sensory
- Document and report sensory results, including managing sensory database information
- Present research findings and reports in a well-organized written and verbal manner
- Participate in pilot scale production runs as required
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ph.D. with 2+ years of experience or M.S. with 4+ years of experience. Degree in Sensory Science, Food Science, or related field.
- Applicable work experience with sensory and/or consumer testing in food industry
- Ability to conduct consumer research, execute statistical analyses, and report studies to generate insights for product development
- Knowledge of sensory analytical methods
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative sensory and consumer test methods to drive new product development (as well as continuous improvement)
- Proficient in use of sensory data collection systems (preferably RedJade Sensory Software)
- Willingness to taste food and beverages across product categories
- Track record of successful project management from ideation, experimental design to final execution in the food or biotechnology industry
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Detail oriented and extremely organized
- Excellent time management, organization skills, and project management skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Hooray Foods, Inc. Sponsorship available in certain cases.
- Laboratory kitchen and office with less than 10% travel
- Must be able to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
We're a small and mighty team, but as we grow we know the most important thing is that we have an amazing team that shares the same vision for the world and knows how to work together to get there. To us, this means diversity, creativity, teamwork, passion, compassion, and an ability to have fun with the work we are doing.