Hooray Foods is on a mission to combat climate change, enhance the world's ecosystems, and prevent animal suffering, all by providing people around the world with delicious food that gives them the same experience and joy as eating animal products - Hooray!!
Our first product is a plant-based bacon called Hooray Bacon that looks, handles, and tastes almost like the real thing. We need an amazing Analytical Scientist to help us quantify the chemical and physical properties of our products.
You will work closely with a team of Food Scientists to support research and development efforts of the company. This role will be responsible for designing experiments and selecting appropriate procedures to understand both physical and chemical properties of products. These results will then be used to create potential pathways of improving prototypes. Successful individuals will be result-oriented, self-motivated, and meticulous about their work. Taking ownership of the work that you do, and approaching tasks with an organized, methodical manner will render you successful in this position.
Your work will be based in our R&D kitchen and analytical lab in downtown San Francisco where you'll work closely with the entire Hooray team.MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead development of new analytical methods to characterize the biochemical, chemical, and physical characteristics of food products
- Optimize existing analytical methods for the identification and isolation of both small and large molecules within food products
- Characterize functional properties of food product ingredients - i.e. proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, etc.
- Establish detailed database for ingredient functional properties
- Work with Food Scientists to answer key formulation problems based on understanding and research of functional properties of food ingredients
- Perform analytical methods such as HPLC, GC-MS, and spectroscopy
- Coordinate verification, maintenance, and calibration of all analytical equipment
- Support installation and set-up of new instruments
- Setup analytical test programs for analyzing samples with different matrices
- Present research findings and reports in a well-organized written and verbal manner
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ph.D. with 2+ years of experience or M.S. with 4+ years of experience. Degree in Food Chemistry, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or related field
- Hands on experience in food analysis using analytical techniques such as GC-MS, LC-MS, HPLC and other chromatography techniques
- Working experience characterizing biochemical, chemical, and physical properties of food products or similar materials
- Strong understanding of the principles of analytical chemistry, food chemistry and food processing
- Experience developing databases and using data processing techniques along with statistical software
- Ability to critically think and apply results from laboratory analysis to product development
- Experience troubleshooting laboratory equipment
- Willingness to taste food and beverages across product categories
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Detail oriented and extremely organized
- Excellent time management, organization skills, and project management skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Hooray Foods, Inc. Sponsorship available in certain cases.
- Laboratory kitchen and office with less than 10% travel
- Must be able to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
We're a small and mighty team, but as we grow we know the most important thing is that we have an amazing team that shares the same vision for the world and knows how to work together to get there. To us, this means diversity, creativity, teamwork, passion, compassion, and an ability to have fun with the work we are doing.