Join Sanborns award-winning team! Sanborn is looking for a GIS Analyst II / Python Programmer
to work onsite at a federal agencywith technical skills in two areas: 1) ecologically focused geospatial modeling and analysis, and 2) data quality and standards evaluation. The position will emphasize working with and developing data at multiple spatial and temporal scales, using advanced spatial analysis techniques (i.e. Map Algebra, Reclassify, Extraction, etc.) and geostatistical methods (i.e. Neighborhood Statistics, Summary Statistics, etc.). Travel of one or two trips per year may be required. This position is located in Denver, Colorado.
The federal agency recognizes that the public lands are facing increasingly complex and widespread environmental challenges that transcend traditional management boundaries. These challenges include managing wildfire; controlling weeds and insect outbreaks; providing for energy development and urban growth; and addressing pervasive impacts from the effects of climate change.
The agency is developing a landscape-scale management approach to better understand these challenges and support balanced stewardship of the diverse natural resources of the public lands. A landscape approach looks across these larger areas to more fully recognize natural resource conditions and trends, natural and human influences, and opportunities for resource conservation, restoration, and development. It seeks to identify important ecological values and patterns of environmental change that may not be evident when managing smaller, local land areas.
Examples of landscape-level initiatives include Greater-Sage Grouse Plan Implementation (GRSG), Rapid Ecoregional Assessments (REAs), and the Assessment, Inventory, and Monitoring Strategy (AIM). These initiatives require analysis, modeling, and application of geospatial data, in particular ecological data, at multiple spatial and temporal scales. They also require quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) of geospatial data, models and tools to ensure data standards are met.REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in a natural resources field such as, but not limited to, ecology, natural resources management, wildlife biology, botany, forestry, fisheries, soils, etc. from an accredited university.
1. Preference given with professional experience (post-degree) using geospatial analysis for natural resources.
2. Preference given with experience (educational or professional) working in sagebrush ecosystems and/or with sage-grouse.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE:
- Professional experience of greater than 5 years with Esris ArcGIS Desktop software.
- * Provide at least 2 examples *of geospatial analysis and/or modeling of ecological data and how it was used or applied.
- Demonstrate experience developing and troubleshooting stand-alone executable geospatial models and tools using Esri ModelBuilder, Python or similar products.
- Demonstrate professional experience of greater than 2 years working in a multi-user, enterprise Geodatabase environment using ESRIs ArcSDE software.
- Professional experience consolidating data from multiple sources to a single data set. This can include creating, managing, and maintaining geospatial databases (including Esri file and SDE geodatabases).
- Professional knowledge of concepts and principles of geospatial data management.
- Professional experience writing FGDC and/or ISO metadata for vector and/or raster products.
- Experience in developing written technical documentation (such as metadata, workflow diagrams, white papers, etc.).
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively to lay persons and geospatial technical experts alike.
- Ability to work with projects of varying timelines from yearlong implementation schedules to products with hours for quick turnaround production.
- Conduct geospatial analysis using a wide-range of thematic data, with a focus on ecological data (e.g., wildlife, vegetation, hydrology, climate change), working at multiple spatial and temporal scales; use advanced spatial analysis techniques, including geostatistical methods, to analyze data and develop custom tools or analysis methods.
- Develop and troubleshoot custom geospatial models and geoprocessing tools that are fully functional, transferable, documented, and meet specifications for internal distribution and external publication.
- Generate all geospatial data and products (e.g., maps, map services, Webapps, models, tools and databases) in ESRI ArcGIS 10.x and approved extensions/add-ons such as Geocortex, Fragstats, and CircuitScape.
- * Develop or update documentation *on geospatial models, tools and processes to:
1) Make sure the lay user can understand and run the models and processes,
2) Improve the content to better document the models/processes (i.e., add more detail, references, visual diagrams),
3) Standardize the documents format, and
4) Ensure that the documents meet standards such as meeting 508-compliance standards.
- * Use ecological expertise *to interpret and apply geospatial data, maps or other products.
- Assist with QA/QC and ingestion of data submitted for National aggregation.
- * Support documentation *of sample designs to facilitate spatial data analysis and reporting.
- * Review *internal and external (third party) geospatial data sets, models and analysis techniques, including associated peer-reviewed articles, white papers, or technical documents, and provide written feedback regarding potential use/application, limitations/constraints, or other requested characteristics/features of those products/approaches.
- Assist with development of and participate in training, educational, and outreach efforts (occasional travel required).
- Assist with coordination and collaboration efforts (i.e., meetings, webinars, emails, conference calls) among a wide variety of communities such as GIS and data specialists, resource specialists, monitoring leads, mitigation leads, information technology specialists, and public affairs specialists.
CANDIDATE PERSONNEL SECURITY AND SUITABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- * Travel *to training workshops, conferences, and/or meetings.
The following forms and inquiries, or their equivalent, will be used to initiate the credentialing process:
- OPM Standard Form 85 or 85P
- National Criminal History Check (NCHC)
- Release to Obtain Credit Information
If selected to fill the position, a candidate would be required to pass a drug screen and satisfy the requirements of a National Criminal History Check (NCHC) to verify the identity of the individual applying for clearance and to determine the individuals suitability for the position.
Salary Range: 72k - 90k annualApplicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Sanborn offers a comprehensive health and wellness program which includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, holiday, PTO, EAP, disability and life insurance benefits.
- TO APPLY: Visit our website: www.Sanborn.com under the Careers menu option to apply for this position. Sanborn is an AA/Vet/Disability Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $72,000.00 - $90,000.00 per year