Janssen Research and Development, Inc., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Scientist, Computational Biology - Infectious Diseases Discovery to be located in South San Francisco, CA or Spring House, PA.
We are looking for an individual with interest and experience in developing computational strategies to identify targets, to support our infectious disease (ID) discovery programs.
The highly motivated Senior Scientist, Computational Biology, will join us in our efforts to discover novel interventions for treating or preventing infectious diseases. As a Scientist you will work with diverse teams of infectious disease scientists to apply computational methods in support of target discovery programs, as well as to discover and characterize novel interventions.Responsibilities Include
- Provide computational biology support for Janssen's ID Discovery effort specifically in the context of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), and respiratory infections more broadly.
- Integrate with project teams to provide computational solutions and guide computational strategies for infectious disease drug discovery programs.
- Crafting preclinical study design in the acquisition of pathogen or host multi-omics or high dimensional flow cytometry data, from human patients and animal models.
- Analyze host or pathogen genomic data, efficacy marker data, or multi-omic data from human samples or animal models, for identifying novel targets and supporting discovery programs against acute pulmonary infections.
- Contribute to the ID bioinformatics strategy.
- Work with R&D IT and JRD Data science colleagues to develop novel machine learning approaches to learn patient subphenotypes and identify subtype specific disease mechanisms from multimodal clinical phenotypic data and -omics based datasets
- Collaborate with academic and external partners aimed at gaining valuable insights from innovative data science technology and pioneering analytic approaches.
- Communicate key results to senior leadership and write reports for publication or regulatory submission.
- Additional responsibilities include crafting experimental design, data analysis, troubleshooting, contributing to project teams, and maintaining detailed records. We work closely with many other teams at Janssen, so you should have excellent communication skills and want to be part of a team.
- A Ph.D. degree in either of computer science, computational biology, mathematics, physics or related quantitative field is required.
- At least 3 years of post-Ph.D. experience in a relevant field is required
- Proven expertise in computational biology, or in a related subject area with expertise in the use of computational approaches is required.
- Proficient in programming skills with languages such as R or python applied to the analysis of genomic and bioinformatic data is required
- Documented experience analyzing and integrating multi-omic datasets that may include one or more of the following: microarrays, RNA-seq, whole exome/genome sequencing is required.
- Experience with analysis of datasets that include one of the following: 16s or whole metagenomic data, single cell sequencing data, or high dimensional flow cytometry data is preferred.
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms, exploratory data analysis, pathway data analysis, statistical modeling and techniques is preferred.
- Experience in applying computational methods to problems in systems immunology, or infectious diseases is preferred.
- A hybrid background in computational and experimental biology is preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and written skills are required.
- This position may be located in either South San Francisco, CA or Spring House, PA, and may require up to approximately 10% domestic and international travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco-260 E. Grand AvenueOther Locations
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring HouseOrganization
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)Job Function