We are seeking a skilled data scientist with a strong foundation in computational biology/chemistry to join Data & Computational Sciences (DCS) at the Boston, MA site of Vertex Pharmaceuticals. This individual will focus on evaluating, validating, and characterizing disease protein targets through integrative analysis of biological and chemical data from high-throughput cell-based screening, multi-omics and RNA-seq experiments as well as any other internal and external data related to small-molecule and CRISPR effects. The individual should have strong Python skills and experience in applying machine learning methods to predicting small molecule activity profile and pathway analyses. Knowledge of human biology is highly desirable. The individual will work closely with other DCS members as well as Human Assay Technology and Chemical Biology groups.Key Responsibilities
- Develop and prioritize biological hypotheses based on analysis of all relevant internal and external chemical and biological datasets
- Apply machine learning methods for target and off-target prediction, pathway analyses, MoA elucidation
- Lead the development of reproducible pipelines to analyze multi-omics datasets in an integrative fashion
- Ensure access to relevant public and/or commercial data sources necessary to support mutli-omics-based hypothesis generation
- A PhD (or equivalent) in computational biology, computational chemistry, or a related field with 1-3+ years of industry experience
- Excellent programming skills in Python and/or R
- Experience in the analysis of multi-omics experiments, including, but not limited, to RNAseq, CRISPR and related screening technologies
- Experience in constructing and analyzing biological networks to drive hypothesis generation & prioritization
- Familiarity with databases relevant to chemogenomics, including SAR databases (e.g., ChEMB), pathway -resources (e.g., Reactome), and other -omics data sources (e.g., GTEx, HPA, LINCS)
- Experience with predictive modeling & machine learning frameworks (scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with cheminformatics toolkits & a working knowledge of medicinal chemistry helpful
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.