The role of Business Engagement leader for Biology across Research and Vertex Cell and Gene Therapy organizations is to focus on developing strategic business partnerships with the leadership to shape and deliver portfolio of technology and data opportunities that are most critical and transformational for the Research organization. Reporting to Vice President, Scientific Computing, the newly created role of Business Engagement leader for these groups across San Diego, Boston, and Oxford Research centers will lead delivery of innovative and strategic solutions to accelerate drug discovery and development. We are looking for a highly innovative and forward-thinking leader who is passionate about science and technology to transform biotech industry. At Vertex, Data Technology Engineering (DTE) organization's vision is to be Industry leading technology and data experts who deliver bold possibilities for employees and patientsResponsibilities:
- Set and execute vision, strategy and product & data roadmap for the Biology discipline across RPPS and VCGT
- Collaborate with RPPS, VCGT, and Technology leadership teams to lead development of short-term and long-term technology roadmaps to accelerate discovery of transformative medicines
- Partner with Scientific Software Engineering, Data, and Cloud platform teams to deliver innovative solutions that exploit power of modern technology and data platform to speed up drug discovery and development
- Shape and implement solutions for high throughput Biology laboratory operations across RPPS and VCGT
- Develop end-to-end data lineage from raw data to results by simplifying laboratory operations, automating intelligent workflows, capturing data/meta data for experiments, and utilizing AI/ML techniques to aid scientific community in the development of new hypothesis and reduce cycle time.
- Inspire a culture of excellence and innovation
- Lead a team of scientific and technical professionals and managers to achieve business outcomes
- Attract, develop, and retain talent
- Monitor external landscape for scientific and technical advancements and bring in relevant opportunities to advance research at Vertex.
- Develop and manage financial budget for the area of responsibility
- MS/PhD degree or equivalent in Biology or other life sciences domain
- 15+ yrs of relevant experience in Biopharma industry delivering innovative solutions
- Knowledge of Cloud technologies preferably AWS native technologies and experience with agile software development methodologies including CI/CD
- At least 8 years of experience in a leadership role leading and managing a global team developing technology solutions for advancing Biological research.
- Ability to lead and manage cross-functional programs enabled by technology and data
- Ability to inspire and improve the performance of team members
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, communications and negotiation skills for a wide variety of audiences, including senior leadership
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills required
- Demonstrated high learning agility and flexible thinking.
- Ability to coach and mentor team members.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.