At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.PositionScientist, QC MicrobiologyPurpose and Scope of Position
The Scientist is responsible for supporting all aspects of Microbiology department related technical needs and serves as a liaison to other departments as needed in support of projects, document changes, and investigations. The Scientist will support training, projects, deviations, CAPAs, change controls, document revisions, protocols, statistical reporting, and continuous improvement / operational excellence efforts.Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Office Suite applications.
- Intermediate ability to interpret / write complex business and technical documents.
- Intermediate critical thinking, decision making, and problem solving skills.
- Intermediate trending analysis skills to include compilation, analysis, and reporting.
- Intermediate knowledge of various microbiological testing and environmental monitoring techniques.
- Intermediate knowledge of various microbiological testing and environmental monitoring equipment / systems.
- Intermediate time management, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, management, and cross-functionally.
- Basic understanding of validation concepts and principles.
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge.
- Ability to conduct effective training and mentoring of Analysts.
- Ability to work well within or lead a cross-functional team to support site / department projects.
- Ability to work independently for extended periods of time.
- Intermediate knowledge of cGMP, regulatory guidance documents, and scientific principles related to microbiological testing and environmental monitoring.
Provides technical support to QC Microbiology operations
- Collaborate with Microbiology Management to identify and implement new equipment / processes to improve Microbiological testing and environmental monitoring.
- Support / lead cross functional investigations deploying investigative principles as necessary to ensure root cause analysis and effective corrective / preventive action(s) are incorporated into the appropriate process.
- Draft and review technical documents, including Protocols, SOPs, Work Practices, Forms, Risk Assessments, and Test Plans.
- Initiate, manage, and execute CAPA and Change Control documents in support deviations, audit findings, projects, and continuous improvement.
- Compile and generate summary / trending reports for Microbiological testing and Environmental Monitoring data utilizing appropriate statistical analysis tools.
- Interface with Manufacturing, Engineering, Validation, Maintenance, and Technical Services as a subject matter expert to provide technical guidance on microbiology testing and environmental monitoring processes.
- Communicate effectively with management regarding task completion, roadblocks and needs.
- Support the development, implementation, and maintenance of department / site programs.
- Coordinate effective training / mentoring of Analysts with regard to microbiological testing / environmental monitoring techniques.
- Lead department projects and support site projects, ensuring effective communication and collaboration with Microbiology Analysts and Management.
Performs all other tasks as assigned.Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology or Science related field, preferred.
- 4 years relevant work experience required, preferably in a pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
- An equivalent combination of education / experience may substitute.
- The incumbent will typically be performing work in an office environment with standard office equipment available. Work is typically performed seated, but may require standing and walking for up to 30% of the time.
- The incumbent will be required to wear designated uniform / gown / PPE when working in a manufacturing, warehouse, or laboratory environments; requiring standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, etc.
- The incumbent will be required to adjust working hours as necessary to support off-shift microbiology department needs.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. The primary duties and responsibilities are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. There are other duties and responsibilities that are considered incidental or secondary to the overall purpose of this job. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.