CSS seeks a Biologist to support field and laboratory research in Coastal Wetland Ecology at the NOAA National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS). The NCCOS Beaufort Lab conducts basic and applied research on: 1) the response of coastal habitats including estuarine marshes, seagrasses, and oyster reefs to sea level rise and other climate change-related stressors, and; 2) the use of natural coastal habitats to promote resilience to these stressors.
We are seeking an individual to support both field and laboratory aspects of our research program. This position will be responsible for field-based sample and data collection that may include sampling vegetation, sediments and porewaters, maintenance of wave and water level sensors, surveying with GNSS and participation in drone-based data collection. Laboratory activities include processing of vegetation and sediment samples (drying, grinding and weighing) as well as analytical chemistry to quantify sample nutrient and carbon content and gas flux (CO2 and methane). The successful candidate will be joining an interdisciplinary team and have the opportunity to interact with academic, governmental and private sector collaborators. Some field work will require overnight travel (
- Plan field work trips and assist in/oversee data collection efforts.
- Sample preparation, analysis and data entry of results in addition to general laboratory support
- Management and maintenance of field and laboratory instruments
- Ensure and document compliance with laboratory safety protocols and record keeping requirements
- Contribute to data reporting
- BS degree with at least 1 year of professional experience in coastal ecology
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced dynamic setting
- Previous experience with analytical chemistry desired
- Ability to carry 50 lbs and tolerate work in hot, muddy conditions.
- Experience with small boat operations and/or drone-based mapping is a plus.
CSS is predominately a Federal Contractor and is subject to following the terms of Executive Orders. CSS requires all Employees (Direct, Indirect, government, state, and commercial), including employees working from home/remotely, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption by December 8th, 2021. Exceptions to the COVID-19 vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the CSS HR Department.
CSS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer who provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, CSS complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Beaufort, NC 28516: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Work Location: One location