Job DescriptionJOB PURPOSE:
Prepare and assemble instruments and equipment used in biology experiments and demonstrations; operates, services scientific equipment and instruments; assists students and faculty with instructional and lab activities; and orders, issues, receives, and stores laboratory chemicals, materials and supplies; and cleans, disinfects, maintains classrooms and equipment, and properly stores and disposes waste materials (biohazard waste), supplies, and reagents.
This position description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, and abilities. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required or assigned to this position. JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
SUPERVISION RESPONSIBILITIES:MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS:
- Sets up, maintain, clean and disinfects laboratory instruments and equipment, such as microscopes, scales, pipets, and test tubes.
- Gathers and prepare biological samples,
- Conducts biological tests and experiments and schedule and oversees all the Biology laboratories conducted for students, faculty, and staff.
- Instructs students individually in the proper handling and safe use of and operation of a variety of Biological, equipment, instruments, and tools and orients students to established policies within the Biology laboratory.
- Prepares and dispense solutions and chemical materials used for lab classes which may include reagents, culture medium, chemicals, acids, bases, buffers, toxic chemicals, carcinogenic chemicals, and stains.
- Maintains records of and ensures the return of all solutions and materials used in the laboratory exercises.
- Issues and receives materials and equipment for student use in laboratory and classroom assignments.
- Assembles supplies and constructs apparatus setup and assist in conducting classroom experiments and demonstrations.
- Maintains basic knowledge to operate, maintain, and make minor adjustments and repairs on laboratory materials/equipment.
- Maintains all the biology inventory records of supplies, materials, and equipment, and prepare requisitions as needed.
- Collects all the biohazard and chemical wastes, and store in proper containers for disposal.
- Maintains a clean lab environment, proper maintenance and disposal of chemical and biohazard wastes.
- Stores supplies and equipment, disposing of solutions according to guidelines, and keeps storerooms and working areas orderly and clean.
- Assists faculty in writing Standard operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Assists faculty in performing undergraduate research and organizing field trips.
- Provide training and direction for student employees.
- Assists Biology Instructor with lab preparation and grading.
- Performs tests and procedures using biology laboratory equipment.
- Assists students in lab experimentation, as appropriate; provides guidance in learning and/or functional operation of experiments and equipment.
- Breaks down and stores supplies and equipment.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Biology Faculty or Chair.
The Navajo Nation Preference in Employment Act applies to all hiring, promotions or transfers of individuals into this position. KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's Degree in biology, or other scientific discipline, or related
- One-year biology laboratory technician experience is desired.
- Valid state driver's license.
- Must be able to pass background check, with NO prior convictions of any felonies.
- General biology knowledge and knowledge in all the related biology labs.
- Skilled in scientific laboratory procedures and techniques used in a biology laboratory.
- Skilled in operating scientific laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Scientific methods of measurements.
- Health and safety practices and precautions applicable to a biology laboratory.
- Principles of recordkeeping. Knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory operation.
- Follow complex instructions and formulae in the preparation and construction of media and equipment set-ups.
- Effectively and safely operate, adapt, and maintain scientific equipment.
- Perform minor repairs and adjustments to a variety of laboratory equipment.
- Stay abreast of technical subjects, practices, and developments in the field of biology.
- Keep detailed and precise records of lab documents such as lab safety protocols etc.
- Maintain detailed chemical inventory, and inventory of equipment and tools.
- Work effectively and cooperatively with students and instructional staff.
- Give clear and concise instructions to students.
- Effectively utilize computer hardware and software.
- Skilled in contacting equipment vendors and schedule maintenance of equipment.
- Skill in operating business computers, phone systems, and office machines, including in a Windows environment, specifically Word, Excel, Access, and presentation software (such as PowerPoint).
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and FEPA standards.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand for prolonged periods, walk and sit.
- Use hands for dexterity of motion, repetitive movement of both hands.
- Have normal auditory, visual acuity, and verbal communications skills.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25-40 pounds.
- Work is generally performed in the laboratory setting.
- Exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Tight time constraints and multiple demands are common.
- Evening and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.