Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott's life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations - with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Lake County, IL currently has an opportunity for a Senior Specialist Environmental Health & Safety
. The Sr. Specialist EHS leads and supports EHS management in the development, implementation and monitoring of programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health and safety regulations. The Sr. Specialist EHS facilitates the investigation and timely identification of incident root cause and corrective action and actively support injury prevention initiatives. WHAT YOU'LL DO
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRINGRequired
- Monitor the workplace environment in manufacturing, Distribution facility and office locations by analyzing work processes, materials, equipment, and the work habits of employees and ensure appropriate corrective action is taken where hazards exist.
- Develop and oversee EHS training programs for employees in areas such as employee-right-to-know, ergonomics, hazardous material handling, emergency response, industrial hygiene, and life safety.
- Plan and schedule work to meet deadlines established by others to ensure the completion of several related tasks.
- Work independently most of the time and use judgment in data analysis to develop and design solutions to difficult health and safety problems.
- Perform traditional EHS duties such as job safety analyses, health and safety training, workplace incident investigations, workplace safety inspections, PPE usage and internal audits as directed.
- Support the EHS team in the management/reporting of all hazardous material and hazardous waste activities including the collection, transportation, and disposal of all hazardous waste in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Review new hazardous materials and check incoming material for SDS's, unique usage and storage characteristics; work with end user to ensure proper usage and disposal; and provide guidance as necessary.
- Serve as a resource to EHS staff on matters relating to environmental compliance, sustainability, and general safety.
- Support EHS management in conducting reviews for facility modification, new product development, product modification and new equipment/machinery as directed.
- Provide On call support for EHS emergencies.
- Support the ISO 14001 /ISO45001 process and maintenance.
- Act as a liaison with appropriate regulatory agencies as directed by EHS Manager.
- Work under the supervision of the EHS Manager, while independently working and solving day-to-day problems.
- Apply professional health and safety principles, theories and concepts and use independent judgment to develop and design imaginative, thorough, and practical solutions to difficult health and safety issues.
- Lead management in the maintenance of the facility's Emergency Response and Fire Plans.
- Coordinate employee exposure monitoring activities for chemical and physical agents, including performing Industrial Hygiene (IH) sampling and supporting the activities of contract Industrial Hygienists, chemical spill remediation specialists, and other safety consultants as required.
- Conduct and coordinate ergonomic risk assessments and making appropriate corrective action recommendations.
- Lead the selection, training and maintenance of all volunteer employee Safety Coordinators and Chemical Handlers.
- Coordinate the inspection and procurement of emergency response and disaster preparedness materials and equipment
- Support EHS management in the gathering of data for the establishment of report metrics pertinent to EHS activities.
- Comply with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- B.S. Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 5+ years' experience in the Health and Safety field with both hands on and program management experience.
- Ability to navigate and interpret EHS regulations
- Expected to function with little direction and be able to independently drive complex projects to completion.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and daily responsibilities.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel, including internationally.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Chemistry/Env. Engineering experience
- Experience in manufacturing, food industry or medical devices
- Experience with ISO14001 auditing
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.