Active Acoustic Data Processing and Analysis Support SpecialistLocation:
Remote or Narragansett, RI or Woods Hole, MAClearance Required:
Must be able to obtain a Public TrustCertifications Required:
IBSS is seeking a Full-time Active Acoustic Data Analyst to support a project between the Protected Species Branch (PSB) and the Ecosystem Survey Branch (ESB) of NOAA's Northeast Fisheries Science Center to process and analyze active acoustic data collected for separate and overlapping projects.Key Responsibilities:PSB Projects related to supporting research related to North Atlantic right whale habitat and distribution in southern New England, particularly as it relates to offshore wind development.
- Analyze potential right whale zooplankton preyscape
- Apply calibration adjustments to collected echosounding data
- Perform base echosounding processing in Echoview (adding bottom, cleaning data, etc.)
- Link and compare echosounder prey data to Video Plankton Recorder and bongo net data collected simultaneously or in the study region
- Collaborate with NEFSC staff to assess target strength of zooplankton by linking echosounding data with corresponding VPR & bongo data
- Apply prey classification to echosounder data in areas without bongo or VPR data, or to areas where right whales were sighted
Depending on timing, potentially support field work on a small research vessel providing protected species observing and deploying oceanographic instrumentation such as echosounders, bongo nets, video plankton recorders, and acoustic doppler current profilersESB Projects related to Butterfish and Atlantic mackerel acoustic classification, biological interpretation of acoustic data collected during a long-range sonar experiment, and interpretation of acoustic and biological data collected in the mesopelagic region.
(The data for these projects are multifrequency, narrowband, acoustic data collected on NOAA ship surveys, and biological data (e.g., length, age, weight, diet, maturity, sex) collected by bottom and midwater trawls during those surveys. The acoustic data are processed using Echoview and custom-written Python programs. The biological data are processed using custom-written Python and R programs. Graphics are generated using Echoview, Python, R, and QGIS.)
- Process acoustic data in Echoview and/or custom-written Python programs
- Export acoustic data from Echoview and/or custom-written Python programs
- Visualize data using QGIS
- Assist with application of statistical methods in R and/or Python
- Process computer-tomography (CT) data using custom-written Python programs
- Organize CT data and model results on a Google Drive
- Assist with comparing empirical and theoretical results
- Assist with organizing biological data
- Generate graphics
- Master's Degree in marine biology, oceanography, or similar field
- Experience working with satellite remote sensing data
- Experience in underwater acoustics and familiarity with Echoview software and Python programming
- Experience with GIS (e.g., QGIS or ArcView), and statistical programming languages such as R
- Candidates should be able to work well independently and in teams, and be willing to take part in short research cruises deploying oceanographic equipment.
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional, scientific, technical, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, paid time off, federal holidays, matching 401K plan, tuition/professional development reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.