About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The successful candidate should be highly self-motivated, strong desire to learn, and have great compassion and interest with medical and biological research and excellent communication skills. The candidate will work in a highly competitive research lab and investigate molecular mechanisms underlying transcriptional control and cell signaling in "cancer stem cells" during the course of cancer initiation and progression using "cutting-edge" and unbiased in vitro and in vivo experimental approaches. Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, the Research Associate II (RAII) will directly undertake a variety of advanced and sophisticated experiments. The candidate should have abilities to work with stress and meeting for deadlines.
RAII should have previous research experience and be sufficient to perform a series of cellular and molecular biological procedures. In addition, she/he should be able to plan experimental approaches to a research project with consulting with the academic supervisor; making necessary technical trouble-shooting, reads scientific abstracts and articles; contribute original ideas to the laboratory research; standardize new techniques and train staff on these techniques; prepare written reports of laboratory experimental methods.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Performs a variety of routine and non-routine laboratory research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory.
- Recommends alternative procedures.
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology.
- Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design.
- Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree. Master's degree preferred.
- Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree or, one year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree.
- Molecular and cellular biology experience.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-MA
- Posting Date: Oct 25, 2021
- Job Field: Research
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job