At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.Principal/ Senior Principal Scientist, Informatics and Predictive Sciences
We seek an enthusiastic and collaborative computational scientist to join our group within Predictive Sciences that interfaces with the Neuroscience Thematic Research Center (TRC). This scientist will conduct and guide innovative research to harness insights from high-dimensional biological datasets derived from pre-clinical, clinical and observational studies. These insights will drive identification and development of biomarkers for patient enrichment, predictive response signatures and pharmacodynamic readouts for therapeutics targeted towards neurological diseases. The successful applicant will be expected to develop and provide actionable insights on applying cutting-edge computational modeling approaches to analyze molecular profiling datasets including bulk RNA-seq, whole exome and genome, single-cell sequencing, cytokine and proteomics, to guide clinical development decisions.
This position will be located within a group of computational biologists, machine learning researchers and data engineers who collaborate on a daily basis with scientists focused on the early pipeline within the Neuroscience TRC, as well as colleagues across BMS Research and Early Development. The individual will be expected to provide supervision and mentorship of existing and future junior scientists in the group. Opportunities exist to collaborate with colleagues with expertise in a wide range of computational disciplines and related therapeutic areas.Responsibilities
This individual would be responsible for executing the Predictive Sciences strategy for Neuroscience biomarker development in collaboration with early clinical development and translational research. They would be responsible for performing analysis of multi-modal omic datasets using integrative network and pathway-based approaches to inform trial design, patient enrichment strategies for early stage clinical development of the BMS Neuroscience portfolio. They would develop and drive collaborations with other bioinformaticians, biologists and clinicians to implement and execute computational analysis to impact our pipeline of Neuroscience programs and to meet necessary milestones for new product development.Qualifications
- A Ph.D. in computational biology, machine learning, statistics, physics or related field with a firm grasp of quantitative methods with 8+ years
- Broad experience analyzing as well as generating actionable insights from expression and other high-dimensional molecular data such as genetics, imaging, proteomics, and NGS data types.
- Competent in the statistical underpinnings of methods used for analysis of high-dimensional data; experience with machine learning and/or network-based modeling approaches.
- Experience working with clinical trial data in a drug development setting and background in Neurodegeneration or Immunology preferred.
- Fluency in R or Python programming for high-dimensional data analysis. Unix competence including the ability to manipulate data files and execute programs from the command line or shell script. Competent in reproducible coding techniques including code versioning systems such as git or subversion.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publication in relevant scientific journals.
- Experience of working in matrixed organizations
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills along with rigorous and creative thinking.
- Exceptionally strong communication, results presentation and data visualization skills.
- Proven ability to establish strong working relationships across an organization to define and solve problems that will benefit the whole.
- Fluent verbal and written English language skills.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.