Our client, a world-leading Pharmaceutical Company in Andover, MA is currently looking for a Scientist I / Next Generation Sequencing / Molecular Biology to join their expanding team.
• Job Title: Scientist I / Next Generation Sequencing / Molecular Biology
• Duration: 36 months contract
• Location: Andover, MA
• The client has the right-to-hire you as a permanent employee at any time during or after the end of the contract.
• You may participate in the company group medical insurance plan
• The qualified candidate will join the Analytical Research and Development Microbiology and Strategy Testing organization in Andover, MA, a QC (GMP) laboratory that supports biotherapeutic clinical manufacturing.
• Candidate will report directly to Microbiology Group Leader (Principal Scientist, Ph.D.).
• We are recruiting an expert in molecular biology with experience in virology, next generation sequencing and bioinformatics to focus on developing rapid virus testing technologies. The project goals will include:
• Understanding the current industry virus assay requirements and capabilities
• Collaboration with established technology development partners.
• Development of a GMP method for the detection of adventitious viruses in biotherapeutics using Next Generation Sequencing (NGS).
• Method qualification design and execution.
• Successful implementation of the technology and training staff
• Identify, develop, and implement new technologies to accelerate NGS workflows.
• Prepare sequencing protocols, manage sequencer workflows and work in a highly collaborative environment to build out an NGS sequencing pipeline.
• Develop and execute complex molecular biology protocols, specifically various NGS-based library preparation and characterization protocols, using established molecular biology techniques and Client solutions.
• Extensive experience with molecular biology techniques such as DNA purification, RNA Extraction, PCR, NGS library preparation and quantification.
• Provide technical support to the existing methods and analysis solutions.
• Troubleshoot technical problems and participate in the continuing development and optimization of existing and new protocols.
• Communicate with internal stakeholders to provide develop customs analysis solutions and provide troubleshooting support.
• Adapts well to the changing platform needs, in workflow, projects and other tasks as required by the platform.
• Keep records of development work and testing in a GMP environment utilizing electronic notebook solutions.
• Follow standard operating procedures (SOP's) and current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) on a daily basis.
• Write technical reports and method/instrument SOPs.
• Method and instrument qualification and validation.
• Produce, analyze, and communicate scientific insights to the scientific and management teams.
• Apply knowledge of sequencing to multiple cross functional NGS projects in a research and development setting.
• Demonstrate the ability to resolve project hurdles by applying technical expertise in molecular biology.
• Accountable for the accuracy, organization, and interpretation of testing results.
• Interprets results and records observations. Identify and solve technical problems.
• Experience with a broad range of lab techniques, including cell culture, cell-based assays, assay development would be a plus.
• Represent the group at internal conferences.
• Ph.D. in molecular biology, virology, bioengineering or related disciplines or a master's degree with a minimum of 4 years of relevant industry experience.
• Minimum of 2 years' experience with next generation sequencing workflow (including WGS, RNA-seq, and targeted sequencing), and bioinformatics analysis of NGS data.
• Advanced understanding of NGS platforms, specifically those utilizing the synthesis by sequencing technique (i.e., Ion torrent and Illumina platforms).
• Excellent understanding of the underlying technical principles of next generation sequencing chemistries and workflows, associated instrumentation platforms and data analysis and interpretation algorithms.
• Expertise with basic molecular biology techniques (i.e., ligation, PCR, and qPCR) as well as nucleic acid extraction and analysis techniques (i.e., Nanodrop, DNA fragment analyzers, ddPCR, etc.).
• Experience in assay and product development.
• Practical method qualification and validation experience using quality by design.
• Familiarity with instrument and software validation regulations.
• Ability to work independently and adapt under aggressive and/or changing timelines.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality results independently and collaboratively.
• Adaptive and a quick learner, efficient in multi-tasking and troubleshooting.
• Bioinformatics and statistics skills, including experience with Python or R (Scripting experience in coding languages (i.e., bash, awk, python, R, etc.) is preferred.
• Familiarity with automation tools
• Familiarity with eLN and LIMS system
• Knowledge of and/or experience with other sequencing platforms (i.e., PacBio Sequel II).
• Experience mentoring junior staff is highly preferred.
• Next generation sequencing 2+ years' experience needed (industry is ideal but academic experience is okay)
• Molecular biology experience
• DNA or RNA extraction, checking concentration, etc. = must
• Bioinformatics data analysis = plus
• GMP Lab / industry= nice to have since project is still in development phase so GMP is not required team work, documentation, working with a multilevel organization/ department, good collaborating skills needed strong documentation so they can present their data to the team day to day is independent work but teams meetings are with other companies and departments, cross work on studies, team discussions.
• Work with data analysis partner weekly or bi-weekly hit ground running, go getter. Must be able to work independently
• M-F onsite Andover, first shift
• Must be compliant with return to site policy!
• 1 on1 interview with HM then panel
• PhD preferred or Master with 2-4 years experiences