This role will be responsible for designing, performing, analyzing, and documenting experiments to support mammalian synthetic biology activities within Resilience R&D. They will work closely to assist scientists & engineers to develop and test new experimental hypotheses and technical workflows. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successfully developing molecular biology tools with experimental biologists and bioinformaticians. They will serve as a technical lead that coordinates day-to-day research efforts of several research associates.
- Independently design and execute genome engineering and cell design experiments.
- Working with scientists and engineers, perform cell-based and in-vitro experiments on new gene and protein designs.
- Track new techniques and technologies in the field of synthetic biology (i.e. inducible promotors, kill-switches, and novel functionality).
- Prepare presentations and present scientific topics and experimental methods you are working on.
- Develop, implement, and improve protocols and procedures based on experimental data and optimizations.
- Ensure documentation and data management practices are followed, reviewing and revising documentation frequently.
- Support the research team's knowledge curation with independent literature review and study.
- Assist with organizing and streamlining work activities, including laboratory inventory, restocking, ordering, and instrument calibration.
- Participate in daily Agile stand-ups and weekly sprints with other members of the research team.
- Bachelors (BS) with 6+ years, or Masters (MS) with 4+ years in cell biology, synthetic biology, genetics, biochemistry or related field.
- 3+ years of wet lab experience including operating scientific instrumentation such as thermocyclers, fluorescent microscopes, and gel electrophoresis systems.
- Strong desire to learn multiple techniques and willingness to provide support as required.
- Familiar with strict adherence to established SOP's.
- Significant attention to detail and accuracy in following protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly productive in a fluid, fast-paced and teamwork environment.
- Applying scientific principles and concepts to potential innovative platforms and disruptive technologies.
- Strong cell culture skills with fundamental understanding of virus biology.
- Experience with experimental design, data analysis and organization.
- Hands-on lab knowledge and experience with current and next-gen genome engineering and sequencing technologies
- Experience in designing DNA and RNA sequences (plasmids and maps, primers, guide RNA, siRNA).
- Experience with organism design, systems biology, or cell modeling & simulation.
- Ability to use single cell phenotyping (e.g. flow cytometry / FACS-based analysis)
- Knowledge of and experience with molecular biology and/or synthetic biology experimental approaches
- Experience with pre-clinical R&D for a cell or gene therapy product or technology development
- Experience in preparing, running, and analyzing plate-based continuous and end-point functional assays.
- Experience in interfacing with laboratory automation (e.g. automated liquid handlers) and data analysis software.
- Experience with coding and running bioinformatics scripts (Python, numpy, scipy, pandas, jupyter).
PandoLogic. Keywords: Senior Scientist, Location: San Diego, CA - 92161