Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges-and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day-working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE-and make a difference with us.
MITRE's newly established Artificial Intelligence and Autonomy Innovation Center consists of a multi-generational, diverse team united by a passion and a sense of urgency to harness AI and Autonomy to help solve problems in the public interest. We discover, create, and lead through empowering an inclusive community of collaborative innovators, learners, and technical creatives.
We are looking for people with a lifelong commitment to learning, who are passionate about harnessing artificial intelligence to make a positive impact in the world. We have built a supportive and inclusive environment where collaboration is encouraged and learning is shared freely. We value our diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds, and perspectives and harness these qualities to discover connections, solve problems, and create extraordinary impact.
As a Principal Environmental Intelligence Researcher, you will:
* Own and pursue a research agenda to drive understanding of the complex interactions between the climate, natural ecosystems, human social and economic systems, security and health.
* Manage and lead a research team while providing mentorship.
* Work closely with individual contributors and tech leads to build, communicate, and execute a research strategy.
We are looking for a blend of:
* Interest in and ongoing insights into the impacts of AI technology, particularly in the area of environmental intelligence.
* A track record of generating new ideas or improving upon existing ideas in artificial intelligence and/or machine learning, such as those demonstrated by one or more first-author publications or projects.
* Experience managing/mentoring in a research environment.
* Programming experience in creating high-performance implementations of machine learning algorithms.
* PhD in Computer Science, Environmental Science, a related technical field, and/or equivalent practical experience.
* Experience in natural language understanding, computer vision, automated reasoning, machine learning, or artificial intelligence.
* Recent programming experience (e.g., C, C++, Python, R, or Java).
* Contributions to research communities/efforts, including publishing papers on artificial intelligence and machine learning (AAAI, ACM, JMLR, ICLR, NeurIPS, ICML, ACL, CVPR).
* Relevant work experience, including full time industry experience or as a researcher in a lab.
* Experience mentoring, leading teams, and/or projects.
* Programming publication examples in GitHub or a similar repository.
* Experience writing research grant proposals.
* Strong publication record in a variety of forums (journals, conferences, etc.).
* Ability to design and execute on a research agenda.
* Preference given to qualified candidates with active clearance.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Environmental Science, a related technical field, and/or equivalent practical experience.
* 10 + years crafting practical solutions at the intersection of AI and Environmental Science.
* 2+ years successful leadership experience.
* US citizen, able to obtain and maintain a US government clearance.
This requisition requires the candidate to have a minimum of the following clearance(s):
This requisition requires the hired candidate to have or obtain, within one year from the date of hire, the following clearance(s):
Salary compensation range and midpoint:
$128,700 - $173,900 - $245,200 Annual
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Poster-Supplement and Pay Transparency.
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE's employment process, please contact MITRE's Recruiting Help Line at 703-983-8226 or email at email@example.com.
Copyright © 1997-2021, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.
Benefits information may be found here