Environmental Compliance Project Engineer
At Woodard & Curran, there's nothing we love more than a tough engineering challenge. We handle a wide range of water and environmental issues-solving complex problems with creativity and tenacity. That's how we make a difference to our clients, people, and planet. Our company was founded on a simple concept: provide a safe and enjoyable place to work with opportunity, integrity, and commitment, and we will attract talented people. Those people are at the heart of our firm, solving some of the most pressing water and environmental challenges for our clients.
Who are we looking for?
Woodard & Curran has an opportunity for a mid-level engineer who can support and manage environmental, health, and safety (EHS) and regulatory compliance projects and provide innovative and superior services to our industrial, commercial, municipal, and institutional clients. The selected candidate will report directly to Project and Client Managers in our national Environmental Services Practice and work with a diverse and talented group of engineers and scientists at the firm. The ideal candidate is a mid-level engineer with strong technical experience delivering innovative, technically superior environmental consulting services for projects located in the Rhode Island area and nationally. The successful candidate will be an energetic, motivated, growth-oriented professional with an ability to work independently as well as lead or participate in multi-disciplined project teams.
What's in it for you?
- The chance to drive and help grow our local EHS practice in RI and within the Northeast region.
- The opportunity to join an environmental engineering and science firm growing both locally and nationally.
- Collaboration with some of the industry's leading technical expertise and innovation for a well-established, privately held, national environmental consulting and engineering firm.
- Increased leadership opportunities through higher visibility in the marketplace, client interactions, and account development.
- Flexible work environment and competitive benefits.
- Strong bonus potential.
What will you be doing at Woodard & Curran?
The individual in this position will lead and complete technical tasks for environmental and regulatory compliance projects. Knowledge in health and safety regulations is a plus. Typical projects range from environmental compliance assessments, program development, regulatory analysis and reporting, and database solutions for environmental compliance requirements at the local, state, and federal levels. The position will also include performing various technical tasks at client facilities, conducting complex technical analyses and calculations, and preparing various types of reports and documents including regulatory programs, audit reports, permit applications, and EHS management-system-related documentation. Report writing and interaction with project staff, clients, and regulatory agencies will also play an important role in the candidate's success.
Primary responsibilities involve technical project execution in the following regulatory program areas:
- Hazardous waste management
- SPCC/SWPPP/ICP development
- Wastewater/stormwater permitting, monitoring, and reporting
- EPCRA reporting including Tier II and TRI
- EHS compliance auditing
- TSCA compliance
- Providing EHS training (hazardous waste, DOT, SPCC, stormwater, etc.)
- Air emissions permitting and control
- OSHA program development
Other business, technical, and staff development opportunities include:
- Preparation of proposals, attending professional networking events, identifying project opportunities, making technical presentations for market visibility, and maintaining active networking with existing and new clients
- Maintaining technical leadership for the local practice area
- Identifying areas for technical improvement and investment
- Integrating and expanding junior and mid-level staff into projects
- Assisting with the development of the technical skills of the staff
- Mentoring staff
- Participating in annual business planning activities
- Participation in periodic business development meetings
Candidate should be a self-starter and possess strong field and writing skills to support a wide range of science and engineering projects. Candidates must also have excellent oral communication skills combined with leadership ability, a positive attitude, and ability to work both independently and within teams.
What will you need to succeed?
- A desire and drive to deliver innovative and effective services and to grow professionally and personally in an employee-focused, supportive work environment.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited program. Professional engineering license, or interest in obtaining one, is a plus.
- Strong appreciation of and commitment to safe work practices is mandatory.
- 5-10 years of professional experience with an environmental/engineering consulting firm, state environmental agency, or industrial/institutional facility.
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrated performance of analysis, problem solving, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and on large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Outstanding technical writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to mentor and develop a project team and successfully manage project timelines and budgets.
- Experience interpreting state and federal rules/regulations and preparing related compliance reports, permits, plans, etc.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word (or similar programs such as Google Sheets and Google Docs). A basic proficiency demonstration may be required and a desire to go beyond the basics of these programs to create automated programs and processes is a plus.
Woodard & Curran offers a generous compensation and benefits package to include retirement, generous paid time off, holidays, medical & dental insurance, flexible spending account, career growth, and more!
Woodard & Curran is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Woodard & Curran is a Drug-Free Workplace.
Individuals with disabilities and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE USE A WEB BROWSER OTHER THAN INTERNET EXPLORER IF YOU ENCOUNTER ISSUES (CHROME, FIREFOX, SAFARI)