Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook designs, builds, leases and operates the most innovative and efficient data centers in the world. Developing, operating, and managing the data center infrastructure and facilities the "right" way is synonymous with ensuring high uptime, capacity availability, flexibility, and capital and operational cost efficiency in a safe working environment. Facebook evaluates sites around the world for data center development and is seeking an environmental expert to lead and manage environmental due diligence, including environmental permitting, for North America site selection efforts. This position will report directly to the Environmental Team Manager within the overall Site Development team. Comprehensive environmental permitting and technical expertise and excellent communication, organizational, and program management skills are required for this position. Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed (up to 10%).
1. Manage environmental due diligence activities across multiple concurrent development efforts throughout North America, including Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, noise studies, air permitting, and biological and cultural resource evaluations.
2. Working with other team members, promote environmental compliance through construction and facility operations, including training, auditing, and maintaining permit compliance.
3. Evaluate new data center designs for environmental impacts (e.g., noise impacts, air permitting implications, and fuel management).
4. Scope, review findings, and provide clear direction to consultants and internal teams on environmental conditions and permitting.
5. Lead environmental permitting and regulatory compliance efforts for site selection, including Section 404, Section 106 consultation, Title V air permits, and environmental impact studies. Understand, communicate, and align these approvals with Facebook development timeframes.
6. Develop, summarize, and communicate environmental obligations across multiple diverse Facebook teams, including design, construction, and operations teams.
7. Provide environmental expertise to diverse internal teams and coordinate with other internal stakeholders about relevant issues and requirements, including Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) teams where needed.
8. Develop training and educational tools regarding environmental goals, compliance, and awareness.
9. Stay current on changes in environmental policy and regulations to assess and mitigate risks to the project portfolio.
10. Assist in facilitating the growth of the environmental program within Facebook Data Centers as the company continues to grow and build environmental excellence.
11. Bachelor's degree in environmental science, engineering, planning, or other related field.
12. Air permitting experience.
13. 9+ years of experience in environmental due diligence and permitting efforts.
14. Experience in Excel.
15. Experience managing projects and effectively coordinating with internal staff and external consultants, vendors, and other stakeholders.
16. Experience working in teams and establishing and maintaining cross-functional and positive working relationships.
17. Experience working with confidential information.
18. Experience with Title V air permitting and compliance, with emergency backup generators.
19. Master's degree in environmental science, engineering, planning or related field.
20. Experience with Data Centers.
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.