Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientist, Computational Biology - Functional Genomics, for our site in Cambridge, MA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
This candidate will join Functional Genomics, a group within the Discovery Technologies and Molecular Pharmacology (DTMP) department of Discovery Sciences, to develop and apply state of the art approaches to functional genomic screening analysis. This effort will support the identification and development of small and large molecule therapeutics for disease indications, including Oncology, Immunology, Infectious Diseases, Neuroscience, and Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases. You will work in an exciting, interdisciplinary environment, overlapping the different stages of the discovery pipeline, by interacting with internal and external groups. You should be highly self-motivated and will be required to critically analyze and interpret data from a variety of sources (in-house and external). You will provide analytical support for functional genomics screening efforts within the group, for the integration of that screening data with other ‘Omics' datasets and for the interpretation of that data into clear and concise recommendations for our partners.Key Responsibilities
- Develop, apply, and benchmark analytic tools and pipelines for pooled functional genomics screening data from both in vitro and in vivo experiments, including quality control.
- Use biostatistics and bioinformatics algorithms to integrate multiple levels of biological information together with genomic screening data, for new hypothesis generation, target identification and target prioritization.
- Provide clear interpretation of this screening data and propose pathways for further computational and biological validation to our therapeutic area partners and collaborators.
- Collaborate across multiple fields and contribute to various projects within the organization.
- Demonstrate creativity and apply novel approaches to solving scientific problems. Propose novel and impactful ideas, aligned with scientific strategies, and demands.
- Keep up to date on new computational methodologies and incorporate into internal pipelines as appropriate. Keep current on literature related to his/her field.
- Communicate in a clear and professional manner, both in writing and orally.
- A PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology, System Biology, Natural Sciences, or other related field is required. Some post-degree experience would be a plus.
- A Master's degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology, System Biology, Natural Sciences, or a related field with at least 10 years of related experience in a biotech/pharmaceutical setting or similar environment (such as academic research) is required
- Experience with ‘Omics' or similar large-scale data analysis is required.
- Experience with large scale data processing, integration and meta-analysis is preferred.
- Proficiency one of the following programming languages is required - R, Matlab or equivalent.
- Experience in other coding languages or interactive visualizations is preferred.
- Ability to interpret, troubleshoot and report on complex data is required.
- Ability to present scientific data and concepts to international standards is required.
- Strong organizational skills including the expertise to handle several projects at a time is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people is required.
- Drug discovery experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical environment is preferred.
- Experience with functional genomic screening is preferred (Examples may include: RNAi or CRISPR/Cas9 screening, etc.)
- Collaboration experience with external partners (e.g. contract research organizations and academics) is preferred.
- This position is located in Cambridge, MA and may require up to approximately 10% domestic travel.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)Job Function