At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The qualified candidate is a highly motivated, interactive, and creative individual who possesses substantial experience in the genetics and signaling mechanisms fundamental to tumor biology and is interested in applying this knowledge to seek and validate targets for next generation therapies. The candidate will help shape future target discovery strategies and would be responsible for developing and executing on functional genomics based approaches to identify, validate, and advance targets into the drug discovery portfolio. The candidate will also have the opportunity to lead multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams as targets progress and will be expected to work seamlessly with colleagues across the BMS Thematic Research Centers, as well as with collaborators in the in vivo pharmacology, translational research, drug discovery, and medicinal chemistry groups. The highly matrixed nature of this role provides a unique opportunity to broaden scientific expertise into both cancer intrinsic and extrinsic drivers of resistance.
Job Responsibilities include
- PhD with at least 5 years of relevant experience and demonstrated expertise in cancer biology and genetics, oncogenic signaling or DNA damage response pathways, and the identification and validation of targets using state-of-the-art functional genomics techniques, is required
- Demonstrated expertise in executing target identification strategies including the design, implementation, and validation of targets from forward and reverse genetic and/or phenotypic screens by use of genome engineering techniques and genetic perturbation (eg shRNA, CRISPR, degron tagging of endogenous loci) is required.
- Demonstrated expertise in uncovering mechanistic biology that best informs target modality for drug discovery efforts is preferred.
- The candidate is expected to have experience supervising, mentoring, and developing direct reports
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with internal and external colleagues is required.
- Competitive candidates are expected to have a record of independent and innovative research as evidenced by publications in top tier peer-reviewed journals.
- Conceive, communicate, and implement multi-disciplinary research strategies that encompass target validation; deciphering mechanistic insight for target modality, biomarker identification to enable early patient stratification hypotheses, and early development of novel therapeutics
- Working closely with project teams, key stakeholders, and colleagues in Drug Discovery, In Vivo Pharmacology, and Translational Research and play a leadership role in developing preclinical data sets to inform target modality, patient stratification and rational combination strategies for novel therapeutics.
- Develop and utilize clinically relevant cell models to enable the discovery of novel biology, answer mechanistic questions, and discover and validate potential therapeutic targets.
- Work as a member of a diverse and motivated team of researchers from across Discovery Oncology as well as with key internal and external collaborators
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com . Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.