About the Department
Discovery Biology works to develop strategies for identifying novel pathways, platforms, or technologies that can be leveraged to produce target candidates for the treatment of metabolic disease specifically diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, and NASH. We also provide support for the Obesity Research therapeutic area through a diverse team with technical expertise in proteomics, histology, bioinformatics, and flow cytometry. And our competitive compensation package and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
A highly skilled and experienced Sr. Computational Biologist to drive new approaches to drug discovery through application of state-of-the-art computational sciences within the Global Obesity and Liver Disease research unit. As a senior member of the Target Discovery team, this individual will contribute to the development of scientific strategies and platform technologies for identification and validation of novel drug targets. This individual will collaborate closely with experimental biologists, bioinformaticians, computational data scientists, and project leads within Seattle and across global R&D to leverage computational technologies for advancement of novel target discovery platforms and programs.
The Sr. Scientist will represent the organization to the external scientific community as a subject matter expert in computational systems biology through the publication and presentation of research, and through development, management, and leadership of external collaborations.
Reports to a member of the Global Obesity and Liver Disease Research Management team at Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle.
Internal relationships include working closely with scientific staff, project leads & other members of the leadership team; regular collaborations with members of other research departments at NNRCSI; & frequent interaction with other colleagues across global R&D. Individual may direct the work of other staff members and lead project teams.
External relationships include academia- & industry-based research collaborators and key opinion leaders.
Novo Nordisk requires all employees, both Field and Office-based, to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Novo Nordisk will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. You will be required to upload an image of your COVID-19 vaccine card at the time of hire and/or on your first day of employment
- Develop and optimize computational pipelines for high-dimensional, high-throughput datasets including transcriptomics, proteomics, and cellular imaging data.
- Design, guide, and conduct statistically rigorous data analyses to support research projects and discover biological insights and new drug targets.
- Develop and apply computational tools for data sharing and visualization.
- Maintain awareness of emerging methods and novel technologies in computational biology, AI/ML and applications for omics and cellular imaging.
- Propose, plan, and execute complex, diverse projects that require a strong technical and scientific understanding and expertise in advanced bioinformatics, computational sciences, and systems biology
- Provide expert-level guidance to design experiments, analyze data, and interpret results, including in vitro & in vivo experiments, public data sets, and clinical data plans and interpretation
- Troubleshoot highly complex tasks through independent and team-based efforts
- Demonstrate deep subject matter expertise and in-depth experience, as well as creative, independent thinking and solutions for addressing critical scientific questions
- Make independent decisions related to day-to-day experimental computational activities
- Assume responsibility for project design, implementation, and interpretation
- Analyze complex data with high degree of sophistication, connect disparate datasets to reach conclusions, and communicate project updates and experimental results to relevant stakeholders
- Function as project leader for global, cross-functional experimental teams to achieve project goals
- Communicate regularly with international colleagues within Novo Nordisk
- Actively participate in cross-functional teams to drive project success
- Achieve business goals, share learnings, knowledge and skills & promote cross-functional teamwork
- Share knowledge & expertise to expand team capabilities and goals
- Demonstrate superior cross-cultural understanding to effectively interact with relevant stakeholders in the global organizationShare knowledge & expertise to expand team capabilities and goals
- Recommend, present, and champion new targets or methodologies
- Propose and lead external research efforts to support project goals
- Write and review collaborative research manuscripts, project documents, and milestone documents
- Identify biology-, target-, or technology-focused gaps and questions & be able to propose solutions for long-term benefit of department, site, or company
- Represent the organization as NN-subject matter expert by attending and presenting at scientific conferences and global meetings
- Bachelor's Degree required; Phd highly preferred in computational or systems biology, computer science, or a related technical field
- 18+ years relevant experience required, or a masters degree with 12+ years relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree in with 6+ years post-doctoral and/or industry relevant experience can be considered
- Relevant required experience includes: (industry experience preferred)
- Experience in disease related systems biology research; experience with metabolic disease preferred
- Experience with multi-omics or multi-modal high dimensional data analysis and pipelines, e.g. next-generation sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics, epigenomics, phenotypic readouts, imaging, and clinical data
- Experience driving innovative data integration across studies in disparate model systems and public resources to gain insight into disease pathology and distill potential drug candidates and target mechanisms
- Experience translating results of bioinformatics studies into actionable drug candidates
- Working knowledge of cell and molecular biology
- Solid understanding of biostatistics and experimental design principles
- Fluency in Python and/or R programming languages
- Familiarity with command line, linux environments, and running jobs on high-performance computing clusters
- Commitment to reproducible research and demonstrated ability to document code and work collaboratively with computational colleagues (eg git, markdown, notebooks)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to communicate complex methods and results to non-experts
- Ability to balance multiple projects and receive feedback from multiple teams simultaneously
Preferred experience includes one or more of the following technologies or specializations:
- Design, analysis, and interpretation of epigenomics studies relating to cell differentiation and cell fate prediction.
- Application of systems biology to clinical data including patient population stratification, responder-nonresponder analysis, and/or identification of predictive & prognostic biomarkers.
- Understanding/application of deep learning techniques using high dimensional, multi-modal biological data in the pursuit of novel biological insights, drug targets and/or biomarkers.
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, were life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.