Environmental Health and Safety Specialist needed for a contract opportunity for Yoh Scientific's client located in the Bothell, WA area. This position is with a major pharmaceutical company that makes cancer and immunology drugs. If you meet the requirements, please apply to this job and also feel free to follow up via email to Rachita.Saxena@yoh.com. (Job#321705 )
Pay rate: $50 - $60/hour
12 months W2 contract
This position is primarily an on-site role. Looking to convert this role to FTE if all goes well.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
The primary focus of the Sr. EHS Specialist is to support the EHS programs at our Bothell location which includes the cell therapy manufacturing plant and laboratories. The EHS Specialist works directly with the laboratories and manufacturing and serves as an expert regarding general safety, chemical hygiene, biosafety and environmental management to ensure best practices and compliance with all relevant state and federal regulations. This position works closely with the EHS Team members on site. This position is based at our Juno Manufacturing Plant (Jump) in Bothell, Washington. On-call service may be required.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Bachelor's degree in environmental health, industrial hygiene, chemistry, biological sciences or closely related field.
• Minimum of 5 years directly related EHS experience, preferably in a biopharmaceutical or medical device manufacturing or laboratory environment.
• Working knowledge of environmental health and safety regulations and procedures that apply to the biotech industry.
• Experience with rapid and complex changing work environment
Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with federal, state and local regulatory requirements as well as pharmaceutical industry requirements and standards. Experience in manufacturing or a laboratory setting is preferred.
Desirable certifications include: CHMM, RBP, CBP, ASP, CSP, CIH, etc
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Excellent communication, presentation and customer service skills. Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using effective and appropriate judgment
• Strong sense of urgency in addition to the ability to prioritize and complete projects in a timely manner.
• The ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, have a strong drive - orientated on results.
• Demonstrated ability to interface and influence at all levels of the organization.
• General Safety - will act as a Safety Officer at the site. Ensure compliance to all safety requirements. This position will act as the Lead Safety representative at the daily staff meetings.
• Safety Program - Work with staff to promote a positive safety culture and ensure compliance to all safety requirements. Develop and review site SOPs and procedures. Lead safety inspections and other audit programs. Prepare and track incident investigations and reports. Provide technical assistance to the Safety Committee and EHS team.
• Training - Develop and provide EHS training to personnel, including but not limited to new hire employee orientation, chemical safety, and subsequent refresher trainings. Maintain records of EHS training.
• Project Support- Provide oversite, support, and tracking of appropriate EHS projects to completion. Manage employee hazard reporting program and disperse concerns to appropriate project teams when needed. Help support EHS project teams by coaching team leads and ensuring proper escalation of concerns.
• Environmental - Promote environmental stewardship within the facility. Assist with the proper collection, storage, and disposal of hazardous wastes onsite.
• Compliance - Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal safety, environmental and employee health regulations, guidelines, and all applicable BMS policies and procedures. Assist with writing internal SOPs and with the integration of BMS Directives for Environmental Health, Safety, and Occupational Health programs. Provide technical and regulatory EHS guidance for programs including universal waste, biohazardous and hazardous waste, wastewater management, air emissions, hazard communication, biosafety, injury and illness prevention, chemical hygiene, industrial hygiene, lab safety, emergency preparedness, facilities/contractor safety, and pollution prevention.
• Other - Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Environmental compliance: Lead in the development of documentation and programs to ensure that waste streams are handled in accordance with relevant laws and regulations. Ensure that all wastes are handled in a way that will not jeopardize employee health or safety.
• Promote Culture of Safety: Develop, implement and maintain EHS policies, procedures, programs, and compliance initiatives that contribute to employee health and safety and maintain compliance with environmental standards.
• Safety Leadership: Lead in the promotion of culture of proactive safety and compliance across the organization and facilitate continuous improvement; drive the development and implementation of an employee training program focused on EHS compliance and best management practices.
• Ensure a safe and healthy working environment for personnel, vendors, contractors through management and training of compliance policies.
• Coordinate and guide external consultants, contractors to assure compliance with corporate standards as well as federal and local regulations; specifically, commission an annual third-party gap assessment and develop required remediation and risk mitigation plans.
• Manage and maintain policies and programs to manage waste streams, comply with permits, investigate events, environmental accounting, air permits and emissions.
• Mange industrial hygiene programs and ensure risks of exposure, particularly to hazardous chemicals and biohazardous materials, are mitigated.
• Conduct hazard assessments and risk assessments for processes and equipment.
• When needed, provide design input to ensure equipment and facilities are safely and compliantly designed.
• Ensure compliant record keeping such as OSHA Logs.
• Conduct learning sessions, both electronic and classroom, to inform and update employees regarding critical policies.
WORKING CONDITIONS (US Only):
Office conditions 80-90% of the time, inspections, audits may require walking and standing for longer periods but only on occasion. Open office area, well- lit, with moderate noise level. Occasional lifting is required. Maximum weight to be lifted/carried is 20 pounds.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. The primary duties and responsibilities are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. There are other duties and responsibilities that are considered incidental or secondary to the overall purpose of this job. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Position Handles Hazardous Materials
Position Works With or Near In-Vivo
Opportunity is calling. Apply now!
What's In It For You?
We welcome you to be a part of one of the largest global staffing companies to meet your career aspirations. Yoh's network of client companies has been employing professionals like you for over 65 years in the U.S., UK and Canada. Join Yoh's extensive talent community that will provide you with access to Yoh's vast network of opportunities and gain access to this exclusive opportunity available to you.
• Medical, Dental & Vision Benefits
• 401K Retirement Saving Plan
• Life & Disability Insurance
• Direct Deposit & weekly ePayroll
• Employee Discount Programs
• Referral Bonus Programs
Yoh makes finding and applying for jobs simple. Partner with Yoh to find the right opportunities across multiple industries in the US and UK. Find out more here!