Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), ranked one of the top environmental think-tanks globally, seeks a Director, Academics for its academic program. The incumbent will be based in Bengaluru and report to the CEO of ATREE. About ATREE and the academic program
For the last twenty-five years, ATREE has been engaged in generating rigorous interdisciplinary knowledge for achieving environmental conservation and sustainability. Sustaining India's landscapes and ecosystem services, while addressing chronic poverty and inequality, requires rigorous interdisciplinary knowledge about how these interconnected socio-environmental systems work. Further, it is necessary to train the next generation of environmental leaders with knowledge and skill sets in areas such as biodiversity conservation, water management, landscape restoration, for addressing global problems such as climate change and local challenges such as improving human well-being.
The academic program at ATREE is anchored around 20 faculty members, who conduct interdisciplinary research in natural and social sciences that is relevant for policy design and practice. Our academic research is grounded in solid field work consisting of primary data collection and characterized by long term commitment to communities that we work in through our Community Conservation Centers and other project sites. The application of our academic research is primarily through our Center for Policy Design and the Center for Social and Environmental Innovation.
The doctoral program was established by the ATREE Academy in cooperation with the Manipal Academy of Higher Education, and has produced an innovative curriculum and excellent scholarship over the past decade. Recently ATREE launched an interdisciplinary Master's program in Conservation Practice in cooperation with the Trans-Disciplinary University with the aim of producing the next generation of leaders in public, private and social sectors. Position Summary:
We are looking to hire a Director, Academics for the institution, ideally a professional scholar with 15+ years of experience, who has comprehensive knowledge of environmental and social science and is networked with key players in the academe. The Director, Academics will have a superb academic record of research and hands-on experience in the management of an academic program.
The Director, Academy will develop, expand, and drive the growth of our academic program to deliver concrete outcomes. The incumbent will do this by deepening the inter-disciplinary nature of our research, building on the cohesion in our research programs, cultivating strategic relationships with other academic and training organizations, and working with ATREE's management to ensure that the teams have the resources needed to achieve research objectives. This includes ensuring program effectiveness, fiduciary oversight of large grants, and integration with ATREE's world-class researchers. Vision and strategy:
Requirements: The idea candidate will have:
- Serve as a leader and visible influencer in research in the conservation and sustainability space;
- Support the development of strategies and initiatives that result ATREE in being viewed as a thought leader on conservation and sustainability issues, and becoming a trusted resource for leaders, policymakers, and influencers.
- Provide mentorship to cultivate the successional tier of young faculty and researchers for ATREE.
- Represent ATREE at key international and domestic fora and raise its profile and visibility to funders, partners, policymakers, and the public.
- Work closely with the ATREE CEO and development team to lead fundraising efforts for the academic program.
- An influential academic profile with a PhD degree in a field related to conservation, water or climate science, economics and/or policy;
- A track record of achievement in fundraising and donor stewardship, with negotiating skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with:
- demonstrated networking skills with the ability to listen, persuade, learn, act on new approaches and build coalitions and partnerships;
- demonstrated leadership ability to build, lead and manage a team;
- Management experience with the ability to institute and execute goal-oriented strategies, partnerships and programs;
- Exemplary communications skills with:
- demonstrated ability to write and present information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner;
- experience in dealing with print and TV media;
- skills to use current tools such as social media, podcasts, infographics, etc.;
- an understanding of scientific principles and temperament including an ability to synthesize concepts and execute systems-level thinking
- the ability to lead and organize persons from diverse backgrounds and interests into groups and generate consensus, specifically the demonstrated ability to successfully cross disciplinary and cultural boundaries;
- the dedication, perseverance and time management skills which must be in overdrive for this position;
- humility and empathy, especially in working with communities we serve.
- an "irrational desire to change the world".
- Ability to travel approximately 25-30% of the time.
In addition to a value based, informal and collegial work culture, ATREE provides competitive compensation geared to attract the best talent. ATREE's recruitment and employment policies are inclusive. We respect both the spirit and letter of the laws of equal employment opportunity.
Applications may be addressed to:
The HR Manager
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment
Royal Enclave, Srirampura, Jakkur P.O. Bangalore 560 064.
Tel: +91 (80) 2363-5555, Fax: 2353-0070