Position Title: Research Associate I/II - Molecular Biology
Classification: Non-Exempt / Exempt
Reports To: R&D Scientist
Who is Active Motif?
Active Motif is the industry leader in developing and delivering innovative tools to enable epigenetics and gene regulation research. We are committed to providing the highest quality products and superior service & support to serve the life science, clinical and pharmaceutical/drug discovery communities. Whether you are an expert in the field of epigenetics or a researcher interested in integrating epigenetics research into your studies, Active Motif offers a comprehensive portfolio of epigenetics-related products and services and the support of our team of epigenetic experts to provide complete and innovative solutions to tackle your scientific inquiries.
What's the job all about?
Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
What you can offer?
- Ability to communicate with co-workers, customers, and consumers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Suggest and implement improvements to internal processes to improve productivity and streamline department workload.
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned by management.
- Cloning and sequence verification of heavy and light chain regions for recombinant AbFlex antibodies into standard expression vectors.
- Propagation and quality control of plasmid constructs used in transfections and product launch.
- Maintain accurate tracking of plasmid DNA and glycerol stocks.
- Clone, express and purify fusion proteins in bacterial systems for use as immunogen and antibody affinity purification.
- Generate spotted dot blots and western blots for antibody specificity characterizations.
- Perform InFusion cloning and bacterial transformations.
- Coordinate outsourcing of Sanger sequencing samples and resulting data analysis with external provider.
- Plasmid DNA propagation (from 3 mL to 1 L scale).
- Maintenance of associated bacteriology reagents and supplies.
- Bacterial protein expression and FPLC purification.
- SDS-PAGE and transfers for western blot library.
- Preparation of dot blots.
- Execution of western and dot blots.
- Execute on experimental protocols with excellence and accuracy.
- Ability to design and execute well-controlled experiments. Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results. Suggest additional experiments based on research findings.
- Accurately and completely record experimental data.
- Contribute ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory and manufacturing techniques, improve protocols, processes and equipment.
- Read literature directly associated with assigned project.
- Works under some supervision and reports to R&D Scientist.
- Other duties as required and/or assigned.
What Active Motif can offer?
- RA I
- Bachelors degree in Biology or other related discipline or equivalent knowledge.
- Laboratory courses with emphasis on bacteriology and molecular biology.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- RA II
- Masters degree in Biology, Biochemistry or other related discipline or equivalent knowledge OR
- Bachelors degree in Biology or related field and a minimum of three years laboratory experience, with a working knowledge of experimental design and demonstrated ability to multitask and troubleshoot.
- Demonstrated abilities in the use of basic laboratory techniques, equipment and materials required.
- Proficiency in basic molecular biology skills (PCR, plasmid DNA isolation, Infusion cloning.
- Knowledge of antibody-based techniques such as protein A or G purification, Western blot, ELISA, immunoprecipitation.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
Work as a valued team contributor Medical Insurance (M/D/V) 401(k) Robust PTO plan Fun team building events