The Vertex Summer Co-op Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our co-op program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are fearless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their summer project plan, connect with other co-ops, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will co-ops learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams through a series of Professional Development Workshops.
Be FEARLESS... Join us and help kick start the path to your career!Co-op Job Description:
We are seeking a motivated and inventive scientist with a passion for protein sciences and applying biophysical techniques to drug discovery. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated enthusiasm for biochemistry research, specifically protein purification and functional analysis. The successful candidate will work with a team of biochemists, biophysicists, and structural biologists to determine the target mechanism of action.Key Responsibilities:
- Purification of proteins for use in biophysical and functional assays
- Characterize protein stability and investigate protein-protein interactions
- Support structural biology experiments including x-ray crystallography and cryo-EM
- Participate in experimental design and independently conduct experiments
- Maintain accurate records of experimental work and be able to organize, report and communicate results
- BS or MS in biomedical science, biology, biophysics, or a related discipline
- Track record of protein purification - including membrane proteins - using manual and automated chromatography systems.
- Experience in standard purification techniques (affinity, ion exchange, and SEC).
- Use of biochemical techniques (e.g., SDS-PAGE, Western blot, etc.)
- Experience in biophysical techniques to measure binding constants is not required but a plus.
- Self-motivation, organization, effective communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to navigate a fast-paced work environment where collaboration is essential.
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families, and society.
January 2022 - June 2022, Full TimeCompany Information
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.