JOB TITLE: Microbiologist IPOSITION NUMBER: 2110-03202-SM-I-1POSITION LOCATION: Atlanta, GA, USAANTICIPATED START DATE: Two weeks after candidate identificationTRAVEL: As required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
IHRC, Inc. provides scientific, information management, management consulting, bioinformatics, and administrative program support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other Federal and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be a full-time employee of IHRC, Inc., and will be assigned to the Polio and Picornavirus Laboratory Branch (PPLB), Division of Viral Diseases (DVD), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD) at CDC, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, to provide laboratory support for the PPLB.
Currently on-site federal contractors and approved visitors to federal sites are required to have either a completed Certification of Vaccination form indicating they have been fully vaccinated, or proof of negative COVID-19 test results in the last 72 hours in order to enter a federal facility. Under the new executive order from the Biden administration, federal contractor employees that are working on or in connection with covered contracts, must be fully vaccinated
by January 4, 2022,
except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to a reasonable accommodation. This impacts all IHRC employees whether they are currently teleworking, regularly working on-site at a federal facility, or at a remote location.SCOPE OF WORK
The Microbiologist I will provide laboratory support for the PPLB. Responsibilities will include: a) Performance of specialized testing of specimens submitted to the laboratory; b) Performing standard laboratory methods and techniques to characterize and analyze viruses; c) Assisting with reporting, training and research projects for the PPLB d) assist in the lead projects in bioinformatics and computational biology. The Microbiologist I will support the Division of Viral Diseases in compliance with CDC, federal safety regulations and Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Select Agent Regulations and will prepare reports, charts and graphs and present data at internal laboratory meetings.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSEducation and Experience:
- Conduct acute flaccid myelitis surveillance; exploratory studies to identify correlates of disease and pathogenesis
- Employ methods including enterovirus stock preparation, virus titration, virus neutralization assays, and quality control standard measurements to determine the immune status of certain populations against enteroviruses
- Analyze results of the neutralization assays, and compare them to other antibody measurements performed by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) or other assays
- Perform specimen management activities for materials included in research studies and serosurveys.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree with 3-5 years of experience in microbiology, biology or a related discipline.
- 2-4 years of research experience involving preparation and handling of nucleic acid samples, PCR, real-time PCR, ELISA, and other standard laboratory methods.
- Experience performing laboratory work at a biosafety level 2 (BSL-2) or BSL-2-enhanced level.
- Experience with standard microbiological, virologic, immunological, cell culture, and molecular techniques and assays for the diagnosis of infectious diseases.
- Experience with the development, implementation and troubleshooting of neutralization assays.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Immunizations may be required.
- Experience with the development and evaluation and optimization of in vitro diagnostic assays, including immunoassays.
- Experience in and knowledge of laboratory diagnosis of viral infections.
- Experience performing specimen management and working with a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Ability to work independently and yet maintain the flexibility to respond to requests for support of ongoing projects.
- The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States
Commensurate with qualifications and experienceTo apply for this position:
IHRC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. It is the policy of IHRC, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law, and to take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws and Executive Orders.
- If you are viewing this position on the IHRC Career Center, please click on the "Apply Now" button.
- If you are viewing this position on a site other than the IHRC Career Center, you may use the "click to apply" link, or you may apply by visiting our Career Center and searching for the position number listed at the top of this position description.
- To view all of our open positions, and to apply to those positions in which you may be interested, please visit our Career Center, which can also be reached by visiting www.ihrc.com/Careers and clicking on the "View Opportunities" link.