Cancer Early Detection Advanced Research (CEDAR) center is a collaborative institution within the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute. The Knight Cancer Institute, known as one of the pioneers in personalized cancer medicine, is an international leader in research and cancer treatment. At CEDAR our mission is to detect and stop lethal cancers at the earliest stage because early detection saves lives. This is an ambitious goal, one that requires novelty, creativity, and innovation. We are composed of biologists, chemists, biomedical engineers, computationalists, and clinicians conducting groundbreaking translational cancer research to help people maintain a high quality of life and reduce cancer mortality, to create a global early detection community, and to have a positive impact on the Oregon economy.
CEDAR is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. We at CEDAR are dedicated to promoting inclusion and multiculturalism to build a successful organization by having outstanding researchers of diverse backgrounds work together on multiple projects. We encourage high-risk, high-reward research projects because defeating cancer requires unproven, out-of-the-box thinking. Our research is milestone driven to ensure that each project is fulfilling its stated goals.
Every Knight Cancer employee is expected to embody our guiding principles:
* We act BOLDLY-Breakthroughs require pushing the boundaries of science, exploring new frontiers, and thinking differently
* We SUPPORT each other-Respect leads to trust, which leads to excellence
* We work as a CONNECTED team-We must leverage our collective brain power to conquer cancer because no one individual can do it alone
FUNCTION/DUTIES OF POSITION
As a Computational Biologist 4 with expertise in genomic sequence research, you will be a part of collaborative project teams to understand how individual genetic profiles influence risk of cancer development and progression. Specific project areas include understanding the impact of race on the evolution of mutations in cancer patients, and the Healthy Oregon Project (HOP) which is building a healthy population research repository. Specific tasks include working with wet-lab researchers to refine methods and protocols to meet project needs, raw data processing, mutation calling, and identification of mutation signatures utilizing existing methods. Additional tasks include metadata cleaning and curation, participation in regular team meetings, publications, and grants.
* Familiar with R, Python, and shell scripting
* Utilize and adapt existing analytic packages and workflows
* Familiarity with inherited and acquired variant calling
* Experience with cluster computing
* Understanding evolutionary principles
Data Organization and Management
* Clean and manage metadata
* Access, store, and document raw data
* Coordinate with project team members
* Meet publication requirements, including data and code repositing
* Sample/sequencing quality control assessment
* Implement existing analytic packages and workflows
* Adapt existing resources as needed to meet project needs
* Develop novel analyses and visualizations
* Present at regular team meetings
* Clear code documentation
* Support manuscript preparation
* Support grant writing efforts
* PhD in Computational Biology or related field AND 3 years of relevant experience OR Master's Degree in Computational Biology or related field AND 9 years of relevant experience OR Equivalent combination of training and experience
* Those with a PhD in Computational Biology or related field OR Master's Degree in Computational Biology or related field AND 6 years of relevant experience OR Equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered at the Computational Biology 3 level
* Genomic data analysis
* Variant calling
* Workflow development
* Tools to support method development/refinement
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems
* Ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time
* Ability to learn new and innovative processes quickly
* Ability to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships
* Database Operations
* Clonal Evolution
* Shared tool development
Apply online. Please be sure to upload a Cover Letter and Resume/CV.
ALL ARE WELCOME
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an organization devoted to the health and well-being of people in Oregon and beyond, OHSU requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.