Cancer Early Detection Advanced Research (CEDAR) center is a collaborative institution within the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute. The Knight Cancer Institute, known as one of the pioneers in personalized cancer medicine, is an international leader in research and cancer treatment. At CEDAR our mission is to detect and stop lethal cancers at the earliest stage because early detection saves lives. This is an ambitious goal, one that requires novelty, creativity, and innovation. We are composed of biologists, chemists, biomedical engineers, computationalists, and clinicians conducting groundbreaking translational cancer research to help people maintain a high quality of life and reduce cancer mortality, to create a global early detection community, and to have a positive impact on the Oregon economy.
CEDAR is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. We at CEDAR are dedicated to promoting inclusion and multiculturalism to build a successful organization by having outstanding researchers of diverse backgrounds work together on multiple projects. We encourage high-risk, high-reward research projects because defeating cancer requires unproven, out-of-the-box thinking. Our research is milestone driven to ensure that each project is fulfilling its stated goals.
Every Knight Cancer employee is expected to embody our guiding principles:
* We act BOLDLY-Breakthroughs require pushing the boundaries of science, exploring new frontiers, and thinking differently
* We SUPPORT each other-Respect leads to trust, which leads to excellence
* We work as a CONNECTED team-We must leverage our collective brain power to conquer cancer because no one individual can do it alone
FUNCTION/DUTIES OF POSITION
We are currently hiring at the level of Computational Biologist 1 with expertise in Computational Biology to will use both existing tools and develop their own computational methods to analyze multiomic datasets for characterization of healthy and cancerous cell populations. In this role you will work on project teams working on using NMT-seq and other scRNAseq methodologies which allows profiling of the transcriptome, chromatin accessibility, and methylation at the single cell level to identify signals that drive heterogeneity in early cancer. Using this method and others, we will track tumor evolution at the genetic and epigenetic level.
Data Organization and Management
* Clean and manage metadata
* Access, store, and document raw data
* Coordinate with project team members
* Meet publication requirements, including data and code repositing
* Develop novel analyses and visualizations
* Implement existing analytic packages and workflows
* Creatively adapt existing resources as needed to meet project needs
* Sample/sequencing quality control assessment
* Present at regular team meetings
* Clear code documentation
* Support manuscript preparation
* Support grant writing efforts
Multi-omics profiling of mouse gastrulation at single-cell resolution. Argelaguet R, Clark SJ, Mohammed H., Nature, 2019, 576;487-491
scNMT-seq enables joint profiling of chromatin accessibility DNA methylation and transcription in single cells. Clark SJ et al., Nat Commun, 2018, 22;9(1):781
* Bachelor's in Computational Biology or related field OR Equivalent combination of training and experience
* Experience developing novel analyses and visualizations and adapting exiting recousces
* Programming experience with python/R or equivalent programming language
* Experience in working with existing software for the analysis of next generation sequencing genomics data such as RNA-seq, including their single-cell versions
* Excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems
* Ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time
* Must possess energy and drive to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
* Ability to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships
* Demonstrated ability to learn new and innovative processes quickly
* Master's degree in computation or statistics and 3 years of experience
* Understanding of cell biology
* Ability to clearly communicate and collaborate with researchers from diverse backgrounds, including wet-lab scientists
* Experience in a collaborative or team science based environment
* Experience in user friendly software development, maintenance, and version control
Apply online. Please be sure to upload a Cover Letter and Resume/CV.
ALL ARE WELCOME
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
As an organization devoted to the health and well-being of people in Oregon and beyond, OHSU requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.