Position Description - 2 Full Time Positions Available Position
Starting Date: December 2021 / January 2022
Location: Sandusky, MI (1 position available)
Kimball Twp., MI (1 position available)
To work with the Blue Water Conservation District and assisting USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS), for the purposes of planning, contracting and implementing various agricultural conservation practices in Sanilac County or St. Clair/Macomb County. Two positions open. One position located in Sandusky servicing Sanilac County & one position located in Kimball, Twp. servicing St. Clair and Macomb Counties. These are grant funded positions for 5 years with intentions for renewal.
Statement of Work
The Conservation Technician will aid in the delivery of USDA, Farm Bill Programs available to qualifying agricultural customers within Sanilac County or St. Clair & Macomb Counties. Delivery of these programs to customers will be through multiple phases including farm site assessments, developing conservation plans, assisting with program signups, contracting and implementation.
This Conservation Technician will also consist of coordinating and implementing Blue Water CD programs non-affiliated with NRCS contracts. These programs consist of coordinating Annual Spring Tree Sale Campaign, Strip-Till Program and Custom Field Work, Equipment Rentals, Machinery Maintenance, Clerical, and other Office Duties.
The technician is supervised by and reports to the Manager of the Blue Water Conservation District. The technician will work closely with other employees and the NRCS, District Conservationist. This position also requires direct contact with landowners and the general public to help plan & implement conservation practices, and develops educational programs for the organization. The technician will adhere to USDA, NRCS practice standards.
1. Work directly with clients to identify environmental concerns & develop conservation plans.
2. Assist clients with applying for financial assistance through USDA Farm Bill Programs which includes application processing, contract development, application ranking and document preparation for program selections.
3. Assist contract holders with technical guidance regarding implementation of their practices.
4. Assist the District Conservationist with monitoring progress of contract implementation, conducting contract reviews, processing contract modifications and payments, and general correspondence with contract holders.
5. Learn program rules and regulations concerning administration of applications and contracting procedures for each Farm Bill program under NRCS responsibility.
6. Must use agency specific software related to mapping, planning & contracting.
7. Maintain accurate records of customer interactions and ability to keep the records organized.
8. Maintain client confidentiality.
9. Maintain the conservation district website and online resources associated with programs.
10. Develop power point presentations, public speaking, and outreach educational programs for various audiences ranging from youth to agricultural producers.
11. Transport, operate and maintain BWCD's conservation agricultural equipment (No-Till Drill, Strip-Till machine).
12. Work with the District Manager to provide conservation services offered by the district.
13. Assist in general office management & customer service.
1. Assists office and other programs as needed and requested such as annual meeting, newsletter, walk-in customers, answering telephones, general office upkeep, tree and miscellaneous sales and anything else not specifically listed yet deemed appropriate by the Blue Water Conservation
District Board of Directors.
2. Develops a weekly schedule in consultation with the District Manager and NRCS District Conservationist.
3. Employee will assist and promote, through public relations, District events as requested by the District Directors and Manager.
4. Assist in the preparation of District records, reports, and annual & long-range work plans.
5. Prepare news articles of local interest and about general conservation subjects including notices of upcoming events, demonstrations, and workshops.
6. Be able to obtain conservation certifications through NRCS such as "certified conservation planner", "certified pest management plan writing", "nutrient plan writing"
1. Education: An associate degree or higher from an accredited college or similar work experience is required. A degree and experience in agriculture / conservation, forestry or natural resources related degree is preferred. Considerations of alternative degrees and experience may be considered by the Board of Directors' if he/she is viewed as a good candidate.
2. Experience: A minimum of two years of experience in natural resources, agriculture, forestry, or other conservation fieldwork is preferred. Knowledge of and experience working with agricultural producers and practices is preferred.
1. Excellent computer skills are required. Computers are a standard PC workstation and use Windows-based software.
2. Excellent organizational, management, written and verbal communication skills.
3. Exhibit social and interpersonal skills.
4. Work cooperatively with district personnel and other agencies.
5. Must be able to work efficiently outdoors in varying conditions and rough terrain; ability to lift 50 pounds.
6. Must maintain a valid driver's license.
7. Occasional travel for trainings and meetings is required, including overnight.
8. Must be able to pass a Federal Background Security Check.
9. General knowledge, operation, or maintenance of agriculture equipment.
10.General clerical/office skills.
SALARY, BENEFITS, WORK HOURS, LOCATION:
This is a salaried position with some flexible benefits (health savings account/retirement). Salary will be determined based on experience. Typical work hours will be Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week. Some night and weekend work will be required. The Blue Water Conservation District has two office locations in Kimball and Sandusky, MI. One position will be housed in the Kimball office location and the other will be housed in the Sandusky office location.
Please submit a cover letter (including salary requirements), resume and references to John Bowsky, Office Manager by email There is no submitting deadline. These position postings will remain open until these vacancies are filled. Please contact John Bowsky with any questions related to the position (email preferred) or by calling (810) 648-2998x5. To obtain further information about the Blue Water Conservation District visit our website at www.bluewatercd.org
Please indicate in your letter of interest which position location you are applying for: Kimball Twp., MI or Sandusky, MI. You may also indicate you are willing to accept either location.
Blue Water Conservation District is an equal opportunity employer and provider .
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 - $20.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
Work Location: Multiple Locations