Senior Fisheries Biologist
Sacramento or San Francisco, CA or Remote
We are the Environment & Planning Division. We are passionate about doing what's right for our clients, our people, the communities where we live and work, and the environment. We are planners, scientists, program managers, communicators, economists, technologists, and strategists. We are collaborative, curious, and committed to excellence-these are qualities we value that make us who we are and inspire us to grow.
ICF's Fish and Aquatic Science Team is looking for a passionate, dedicated Senior Fisheries Biologist to join our diverse team of scientists. The Senior Fisheries Biologist will work closely with hydrologists, other fisheries biologists, and project managers to assist water resource clients navigating the complex regulatory process, focusing on effects analyses and document writing for NEPA, CEQA, federal and California Endangered Species Act, Magnuson-Stevens Act, and other permitting requirements. Most immediate assignments will pertain to Northern California fish species although there will be opportunities for future work in the Pacific Northwest, Southern California, and other regions. This position is available in Sacramento, CA or San Francisco, CA with flexibility to work remotely.
What You Will Do
* Conducting effects analyses and writing regulatory compliance documents for environmental permitting of water resource-related infrastructure and/or restoration projects
* Regularly meeting with water resource clients and regulatory agency staff to discuss technical aspects of planning, implementation, and monitoring of water resource-related infrastructure and/or restoration projects
* Describing projects and interpretation of analyses through written and oral communication to a wide audience, sometimes in contentious environments
* Managing projects, including working with a team of technical staff from multiple disciplines to complete analyses and documentation on time and within budget
* Developing scope and budget and writing proposals
* Building and maintaining client relationships
What You Must Have
* Bachelor's degree in fisheries biology or equivalent science related field
* 10 years of increasingly complex assignments in regulatory aspects of fisheries biology
* Fisheries Science Expertise: Experience with key issues confronting fisheries management in Northern California.
* Regulatory Permitting Expertise: Experience with state and federal permitting requirements for water resource projects, including NEPA, CEQA, federal and California Endangered Species Act, Magnuson-Stevens Act, and other permitting requirements.
* Quantitative Analysis: An aptitude for quantitative analysis to analyze effects of a client's proposed actions; design and using sophisticated, robust, and creative quantitative analytical tools and techniques; ability to interpret hydrologic, hydraulic, and water temperature modeling outputs; ability to conduct and interpret intermediate-level statistics.
* Excellent Verbal and Written Communication Skills: Ability to accurately and effectively express results of analyses to technical and non-technical audiences, sometimes in stressful and contentious settings.
* Project Management Skills: Ability to manage several simultaneous projects, including budget tracking and completion of all required products/reports.
* Team Leadership Skills: Setting high personal performance and quality standards and enabling the team to be successful; viewing all team members as critical and treating team members with respect and professionalism; ability to collaborate and leverage team member strengths; mentor/develop junior team members.
* Science-Business Balance: Expertise and passion for science, natural resources, and resolving complex fishery problems while balancing the need for business acumen, marketing, and opportunities for expansion.
What We'd Like You To Have
* Recognized as an expert in the fisheries and water resources fields, with strong connections to a network of agency colleagues.
* Master's degree or Ph.D. in a fisheries related science
* Experience conducting scientific research in a fisheries-related science
* Strong coaching and leadership skills, with proven ability to motivate and guide staff towards success.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you're seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF-together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy [https://www.icf.com/legal/equal-employment-opportunity].
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com [firstname.lastname@example.org] and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law [https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf] and Pay Transparency Statement [https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_English_unformattedESQA508c.pdf].
San Francisco, CA (CA78)