Syros is seeking an experienced cell and molecular biologist to join a dynamic drug discovery team focused on small molecule gene control drugs for cancer and monogenic diseases. We are looking for someone with experience studying the cellular functions and mechanisms of multi-protein complexes involved in epigenomic remodeling, transcription, DNA repair and/or related processes. In this role, you will dissect the mechanisms of small molecule modulation of protein-protein or protein-nucleic acid interactions of gene regulatory complexes.
The successful candidate will have: Expertise in growth and modification of human primary and transformed cells; deep experience with experimental design, sample preparation, and data interpretation for quantitative assessment of protein complexes from cells and tissues; and an understanding of the processes that govern the formation and dissolution of multi-protein complexes driving gene transcription.
This individual will become part of an interdisciplinary team of biologists, biochemists and chemists developing small molecule drugs that affect transcription of globin genes as a part of our Sickle Cell Disease program and will have the opportunity to contribute to other programs in genetic disease and oncology. This laboratory-based role will require creativity in applying molecular and cellular biology methods to profile compounds for their effects on the composition of protein complexes, and associated effects on gene expression and cell fate. Prior industry or academic experience elucidating details of small molecule interactions with proteins and protein complexes and their effect on cellular processes will be an advantage.Responsibilities
- Culture immortalized cell lines and human primary cells including hematopoietic stem cells
- Develop and implement methods to quantify protein complexes and protein-protein interactions in cells
- Dissect mechanisms by which small molecules disrupt protein-protein interactions or lead to protein degradation in cells
- Develop and convert assays to medium-high throughout formats and execute small molecule screens
- Contribute to building and maintaining internal capacity for quantitative analysis of cellular protein complexes and/or to access this capacity through academic or industry collaborations
- Document and communicate results in a timely manner
- Present research results in internal and external scientific meetings
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a matrix environment
- Creativity and rigor in experimental design and execution
- Independent thinking, experimentation, and analysis
- Strong communication skills and ability to share ideas and information with colleagues at multiple levels of the organization
- Attention to detail and good record keeping
- Ph.D. in Cell/Molecular Biology or related field or a Master's or Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience
- Proven core competency in cellular and molecular biology techniques, including methods to characterize protein complexes and protein-protein interactions in cells
- Demonstrated capabilities in quantitative analysis of molecular and cellular biology data
- Ability to design, execute and analyze experiments to elucidate small molecule effects on protein complexes and protein degradation/turnover in cells
- Experience with hematopoietic and erythroid culture systems is a plus
- Experience in drug discovery, epigenetics, and mechanisms of gene regulation is a plus
Candidates who are keen experimentalists, independent thinkers, and enthusiastic team players that have a passion for drug discovery and elucidating novel biology are encouraged to apply. Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are not currently seeking third party assistance with this position.
Finally, the candidate will need to embrace our values:
As one team, strengthened by our diversity, we:
- Value each day of patients' lives
- Operate with integrity and respect
- Inspire excellence in all
- Communicate transparently
- Embrace big challenges
Syros Pharmaceuticals Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. All Syros recruiting is conducted in a fair and non-discriminatory manner without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.Raise Diversity. Elevate Equity. Amplify Inclusion.?
The Syros Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee invites you to envision your next role in a community where each and every one is empowered to be their best authentic self. Operating with compassion, humility, advocacy, kindness, respect, and awareness, the DEI committee meets regularly to uphold our commitment to an inclusive and welcoming workplace. We believe the unique talents, backgrounds and perspectives of each Syrosian strengthens our coordinated expression, making our company stronger and helping us to achieve our mission of developing medicines to transform patients' lives. ?