Take Root Forest School, a nature-based, holistic outdoor learning program, is seeking Teachers for the Forest School Program (ages 4-11) in southeast Florida - Ft. Lauderdale, Dania Beach, & N. Miami. Program takes place outdoors - rain or shine!
Take Root Forest School is in need of experienced, passionate and holistic educators to guide children as they discover themselves, each other and the workings of the world through experiential learning - observation, exploration, action and immersion.
The teacher's main objective is to guide the students as they discover and learn together in the forest classroom. Following the innate curiosity of the children, the teacher will create a flow of learning that is inspired by holistic methodologies such as, Waldorf, Reggio Emilia, and Montessori. By following the curiosity and inquiry of the children, as well as what is happening in nature through the seasons, the teacher creates and implements an Emergent Curriculum where the teacher and students learn together.
Take Root's teachers use a whole-child approach, implementing a variety of methods to engage the children: song, story, play, hands-on lessons and activities - live science, active math, language arts, natural and cultural history, arts and crafts, drama and more. The teacher should be well-versed in planning curriculum and creating lesson plans. The candidate is willing and able to develop professionally as a teacher by studying various methodologies throughout the year. The candidate needs to be flexible in their strategies and in developing experiential program for a variety of ages, styles of learning and abilities.
The teacher must be comfortable and happy in an outdoor setting - in South Florida weather - rain or shine (severe weather excluded) and eager and willing - EVERY DAY - to play, get dirty, wet and muddy and be ready to have fun! The perfect person for this job will feel equally at home at the seaside, in the forest, or in a wet and muddy wetland.
This person is expected to be enthusiastic, flexible and must have experience working with children in either the indoor or outdoor classroom. The candidate will have a sincere appreciation for nature and a desire to learn and teach Florida Ecology.
Knowledge or interest in nature study, survival skills, marine biology, wildlife biology, botany and art benefit the position. Musical abilities and storytelling flair are awesome! Passion, creativity and a sincere interest and love for nature and children is necessary.
The candidate must have reliable, personal transportation as the position requires movement between our locations in Ft. Lauderdale, Dania Beach, and N. Miami. Movement of supplies in personal vehicle is needed.
The candidate needs to be willing and able to follow guidelines and mandates to maintain a healthy environment in the midst of Covid-19. These requirements may include: wearing a mask, keeping a distance of 6 feet while being able to perform duties of job, regular temperature taking, staying home when ill, testing, regular disinfecting and hand-washing, sanitizing for teacher and participants, maintaining a healthy and safe learning environment.
Working with Take Root Forest School is an excellent opportunity for an educator seeking an alternative and positive environment. The program emphasizes and focuses on community and teamwork. If you love being outdoors breathing fresh air and playing, while creating holistic and unique learning experiences..this is the place for you!
- Group/Class Teacher for ages 4.5-7, Ft. Lauderdale & N. Miami
- Group/Class Teacher for ages 8-11, Ft. Lauderdale & N. Miami
- Dates: Immediate Start to June 4, 2022 (excluding seasonal breaks - Thanksgiving/Autumn Break, Winter Break, Spring Break)
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm (excluding seasonal breaks - Thanksgiving/Autumn Break, Winter Break, Spring Break)
- Possible seasonal camp opportunities
- Pay: Hourly, $15-$20 per hour - DOE
- Room for growth based on experience, dedication and performance
- Background in Education or Liberal Arts & Sciences
- Experience managing, teaching or leading children, ages 3-11, in an indoor or outdoor setting
- Experience working with children ages 3-11, singing, storytelling, setting boundaries and leading group facilitation
- Able to move, lift, and transport supplies between locations
- Able to be physically active on various terrains and in keeping up with children in all S. Florida weather
- Physical fitness: ability to crouch, crawl, walk and run on uneven natural surfaces, sit on the ground, lift and carry up to 50 pounds for short distances
- Comfortable in the outdoors: regularly getting dirty, interacting with local ecology/ flora and fauna, tolerance of natural elements
- Ability to travel to several locations - N. Miami, Dania Beach, and Ft. Lauderdale
- Background check and screening is mandatory
- Must complete Abuse & Molestation Prevention Workshop
- CPR/First-Aid Certified or ability to obtain certification immediately
- Bachelor's Degree and/or Continuing Education Certificates in Education, the Sciences or Liberal Arts
- Substantial experience creating curriculum and designing lesson plans
- Certification, knowledge and experience in various holistic teaching methodologies: Waldorf, Reggio Emilia, Forest School
- Experience in camp or classroom as a teacher with children between the ages of 3 and 11 - Tour guide, naturalist, camp counselor/director
- Experience or training in child development, child psychology, and/or early childhood education
- Knowledge and/or interest in learning ecology, biology and natural history of Florida
- Florida Master Naturalist, Certified Interpretive Guide training - or interest in pursuing
- Eagle or Scout experience
- Familiarity with primitive outdoor skills such as shelter-building, fire-tending and handcrafting
- Lifeguard Certified or willing to acquire if needed
To apply, please send us your resume and cover letter - we'd like to hear WHY this job is for you!
Take Root Forest School - where Nature is the Teacher and the Forest is the Classroom.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $15.00 - $20.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Our Covid-19 Guidelines reflect those of the CDC and American Camp Association. We follow all mandates of local governments and the regulations of our partner parks and natural areas.
- Early childhood education: 1 year (Preferred)
- Childcare or Education: 1 year (Preferred)
- Elementary Education: 1 year (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations