Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
The Catastrophe Risk Management group is seeking a scientist to join our expanding PERILS team. You will be joining a group of dedicated professionals charged with leading Travelers to be able to endure catastrophic loss from natural and man-made perils.
The PERILS team is a multi-disciplinary group focusing on peril research, the development of next generation analytics, and event response activities. This position offers a unique opportunity to apply your scientific expertise to perform peril research, to support business strategy, and to provide technical and analytical support to evaluate weather and climate trends and improve meteorological best practices and standards. This role offers an excellent opportunity to develop an in-depth understanding of probabilistic catastrophe models, how catastrophe loss estimates are developed and used in planning, pricing, underwriting, and aggregation management.
The PERILS team engages in complex, enterprise-wide, multi-disciplinary CAT research projects with various depths of focus. The position requires an individual who can strive in an analytical, innovation-driven environment, in tune with business needs.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Stay abreast of latest atmospheric science research, including summarizing results and assessing materiality to current business strategy
- Perform natural catastrophe peril research (e.g. hurricane, severe thunderstorm, winter storm)
- Participate in coordinated, real-time, event response for hurricane, severe thunderstorm, winter storm, and wildfire
- Identify ways to improve event response tools and capabilities
- Implement calibrations of latest science and Travelers view of risk into models and business processes as relating to hurricane, severe thunderstorm, and winter storm
- Research identified emerging issues related to natural and man-made catastrophe perils (e.g. hurricane, severe thunderstorm, wildfire, and winter storm), which may include weather trends, climate related risks, and new science
- Gather data and analyze trends relating to weather and climate
- Provide research and analytical support for climate change
- Identifies, selects and extracts relevant data from various internal and external sources. Completes analysis and presents recommendations to team members and manager.
- Assist with business and market result interpretation
- Support our Business Units Consulting and Actuarial functions with ad-hoc research and peril strategy development
- Create and maintain collaborative relationships with business partners
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus one year of experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data science tools and research using large data sets. Additional verification of specific coursework will be required.
- Masters in STEM related field or equivalent. Advanced degree in atmospheric science preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft suite, SQL, geospatial, statistical packages or other programs used to retrieve and analyze data preferred
- Intermediate knowledge of insurance concepts, coverage, products and operations preferred
- Experience with at least one programming language required
- Experience with FORTRAN, NCL, and shell scripting a plus
- Experience with Linux/UNIX a plus
- Intermediate knowledge of statistics
- Intermediate knowledge of geospatial concepts and tools
- Knowledge and understanding of catastrophe models a plus
- Knowledge of catastrophe model output and metrics a plus
- Experience with at least one of the leading vendor catastrophe models a plus
- Analytical and critical thinking: Ability to find ways to use available data sources to answer questions and solve problems. Ability to synthesize complex multivariate problems.
- Communication: Ability to communicate scientific, mathematical, statistical, and financial concepts to non-technical audiences. This position offers high visibility and opportunities for interaction with senior management.
- Accountability: Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results
- Change Management/Resilience: Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Communication: Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
Experience : 0